Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

With light northerly breezes de-humidifying us, I’ll generously grade 80s & strong sun[screen please]!

Express Forecast

Today: Un-muggy! Some clouds may bookend mostly sunny skies. Highs: 80-87.

Tonight: Increasing clouds. T-showers late? Lows: Mid-to-upper 60s.

Tomorrow: Fairly cloudy. Showers possible, focused south. Highs: Mid-70s to around 80.

Sunday: Salvageable sunshine. PM shower/storm? Highs: Low-to-mid 80s.


A great Friday! But our weekend skies and our forecast–may both turn cloudier. Uncertainty surrounds the details of tomorrow, but it’s hopefully a minor bump in an otherwise OK forecast. Main question is: Will a wave of consistent rain develop as an upper level disturbance pushes through, or does it mainly just send us an overnight shower and thundershower risk tonight.

Today (Friday): Ahh! DRIER, fresher air coming in on northerly breezes around 5-10 mph. Thank you cold front! Lower humidity, even overhead, should keep our skies clearing and showing ample sunshine for most of the day. The high sun angle easily warms (and sunburns!) us into the 80-87 degree range by late afternoon. South of town could be just a bit warmer and more humid. It could be close to high end temps in the “Nice Day” criteria, but you’ll probably agree with the stamp even if so. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Is that our cold front vacillating northward again? Argh. Here comes some forecast uncertainty and muggier air again. An approaching wave should spark showers and thundershowers which pass through late night. After midnight, chances shoot up to around 50% and even increase further to near 70% pre-dawn. Should this wave along the front fail to materialize, we could enjoy a quieter overnight. Let’s just enjoy the after-dinner stroll while the weather (hopefully just increasing clouds) holds. Low temperatures may only drop into the upper 60s downtown, mid-60s outside the Beltway. A bit steamy. Confidence: Low-Medium

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Saturday): Skies, and this forecast, remain… somewhat cloudy. Will the wave moving by late night develop further and keep showers in the area or does it head off to the south and east pretty early? For now, in the immediate area and north at least, I’d lean toward a fairly dry day after some lingering morning showers which could be heavy. D.C. and northern suburbs have perhaps a 30%-40% chance of seeing some shower and thunderstorm activity linger as long as midday; south of town, about 60% chance of getting wet that late in the day. Afternoon high temperatures range from mid-70s to around 80. Add a few degrees if you see more consistent periods of sunshine break through your local cloud cover. Confidence: Low

Tomorrow night: A shower or two may remain into the evening. I would call for about 20% chance of continued showers, maybe a little higher south. Despite the chance for some breaks in any clouds before dawn, we don’t get very cool. Only dipping into the low-to-mid 60s. Confidence: Low

Sunday: This is probably the best day of the weekend. Rain chances are quite low, but spots up in the hills west could see a shower or two in particular. Sun will try its best to dominate, along with slightly more comfortable air. Low-to-mid 80s are probably reachable by late afternoon. Confidence: Medium


Sunday night: Any of those somewhat isolated (hopefully) stray showers should die down. Otherwise, it’s a partly cloudy night and fairly pleasant for late June. Overnight low temperatures slowly fall to the low-to-mid 60s. Confidence: Medium

By Monday we are summery for sure, with a slight ratcheting up humidity. Sunshine could beat down on us at times, with few clouds around. Temperatures head for the mid-80s, maybe a little higher in spots. There is a chance, albeit a small one for any one of us, that a pop up storm cools things off a bit late. Confidence: Medium

Tuesday’s shower and thunderstorm threat increases to about 40%. Back sweat increases to about 100% with mugginess and mostly sunny skies outside of those bubbling cumulus storm clouds that may percolate. High temperatures are mainly in the mid-80s to near 90 zone. Confidence: Low-Medium