Today’s Daily Digit

A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 1 to 10.

Not horribly hot, but typical August humidity and some afternoon showers to dodge, perhaps.

Express Forecast

Today: Partly sunny, humid. Afternoon showers/storms possible. Highs: 80-85.

Tonight: Showers likely, especially south of D.C. Lows: 66-70.

Tomorrow: Partly sunny, isolated showers/thunder. Highs near 85.


Radar & lightning: Latest regional radar shows movement of precipitation and lightning strikes over past two hours. Refresh page to update. Click here or on image to enlarge. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

A stalled front in our vicinity for much of the week means frequent rain chances, but I place an emphasis on the word “chances” as rain tends to be hit or miss.  Today into tonight, for instance, the best chance for meaningful rain is south of the District.  While there’s not a day this week that I can guarantee is totally dry, there’s also no day I can guarantee rain falls. Tuesday and Saturday are probably the days with the lowest rain chances.  Overall, this week’s weather is on the humid side – at least compared to what we’re used to, but no signs of extreme heat.

Today (Monday): Some sun is a good bet in the morning, but I expect some increase in cloudiness during the afternoon.  Showers and perhaps a little thunder could develop (20 percent in our northern suburbs to 40 percent south), but the best chances are to the south and southwest. Humid (dew points in the mid-60s) highs range from 80-85, with light winds.  Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Showers and thundershowers range from likely south of the District (over 60 percent chance) to just possible to the north (40 percent chance).  Heavy downpours are possible, with the best chance south of Fairfax, Loudoun and Prince George’s counties, from north central Virginia into southern Maryland (and further south). It’s mild, with lows from the mid-60s to near 70 downtown. Confidence: Medium

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Tuesday): Partly sunny, warm and on the humid side.  Most locations should have a break from showers and storms in the afternoon, but a few isolated pop-ups can’t be ruled out (20 percent).  Highs are around 85, with light winds. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: There may be a few isolated showers/storms around in the evening (20 percent), but most spots are partly cloudy and dry, though muggy, with lows 66-72 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium-High


The forecast for Wednesday through Friday doesn’t vary much.  It’s moderately humid, with highs each day around 85.  Showers and storms are possible throughout this little span (30 percent chance each day and night), with the best chances in the afternoon and evening.  Overnight periods are warm, with lows mostly 65-70. Confidence: Medium

Rain chances diminish some Saturday, but I still can’t entirely rule out showers and storms, especially in the afternoon and evening.  On Sunday, I need to bump shower/storm odds up to around 30 percent as another disturbance may scoot by.  Highs over the weekend should be 80-85, with overnight lows mostly in the 60s. Confidence: Low-Medium