TODAY’S DAILY DIGIT
A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

8/10: Partly sunny, afternoon 50s, and an extra hour of evening daylight? Spring can’t be far away!

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly sunny and mild. Highs: Low-to-mid 50s.
Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Lows: Low-to-mid 30s.
Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. Highs: Mid-to-upper 50s.

FORECAST IN DETAIL

While we can’t rule out winter returning at some point during March, the short-term is definitely a solid step toward spring. We didn’t quite hit 5o yesterday, but starting today that shouldn’t be a problem.  Sunshine and 50s today and tomorrow continue to melt the snowpack, with an even milder day on tap for Wednesday. Before then we may have some Tuesday rain to deal with.

Today (Sunday): Thanks to an extra hour of daylight today, we get a nice mild day to close the weekend.  (That’s a joke, and a bad one, I know.) Anyway, while not quite as sunny as yesterday, partly sunny skies still push our temperatures several degrees higher, as we reach the low-to-mid 50s for highs in most areas.  A breeze from the west-northwest is nothing but a minor nuisance, blowing at 5-15 mph. Confidence: High

Tonight: As much as I’m personally a winter snow fan, I’m fairly happy we’re done with the frigid overnights.  Thanks to a weak impulse moving overhead, mostly cloudy skies help to hold in some of the daytime warmth, with lows only dropping to near freezing to the mid-30s.  Winds from the west generally diminish to near calm by the late evening and overnight hours. Confidence: High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast into midweek…

Tomorrow (Monday): High pressure regains control to start the work week, leading to a mostly sunny and mild day. The strengthening March sun pushes temperatures up quickly as we head to highs in the mid-to-upper 50s. Some areas south and southwest of D.C. may even approach 60 with enough time in the sun. With the high pressure overhead, winds are mainly light and variable. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow night: Clouds are on the increase overnight thanks to a warm front approaching from the southwest.  We should stay dry inside the Beltway, but there’s a 20% chance that some of our southwestern readers see some showers move in toward dawn. Expect overnight lows in the mid-30s to near 40. Confidence: Medium-High


Moon rise behind the Capitol. (Kevin Ambrose)

A LOOK AHEAD

Low pressure approaches the region from the southwest on Tuesday.  This time, there’s really no question as to precipitation type. It’s going to be rain. A 30% chance in the morning increases to about 70% later in the day. Even with the cloud cover and likely rain showers, highs should make it to the low-to-mid 50s.  Showers remain possible (50% chance) Tuesday night with lows in from near 40 to the low 40s. Confidence: Medium

Wednesday features a true taste of spring.  Any lingering showers should exit early, and while it may not be the sunniest of days, highs approaching 60 are above normal for a change. Confidence: Medium

SNOW POTENTIAL INDEX
A daily assessment of the potential for at least 1 inch of snow in the next week, on a 0-10 scale.

1/10 (): No snow in the short-term. But just cool enough toward the weekend to hold off on zero for now.