2-hour satellite loop. Refresh page to update.

The day featured beautiful blue sky and sunshine, though also included annoyingly gusty winds in the late morning and afternoon. Those gusts will be back tomorrow along with the chance of rain and thunder as our next weather system moves into the Mid-Atlantic.

Through Tonight: Clouds are on the increase as a trough of low pressure spins over the Great Lakes, and our next cold front approach from the west. Winds back off by 7 or 8 p.m., slowing to a relatively modest 10 mph from the southwest. Lows are around 50 degrees in the city, and the low to mid-40s in the suburbs.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): The day starts with increasing clouds and a slight chance — 30 percent — of showers in the commute hours. The chance of rain increases through the day as the cold front moves in from the west, which could dig up some thunderstorms as it blows through. It’s looking like a late-afternoon to early-evening frontal passage, which means the rain and rumbles could be mostly over by the time the Nationals game starts.  Winds are blustery again from the southwest shifting to northwest, with gusts to 30 mph. Highs climb into the mid to upper 60s.

See Matt Rogers’s forecast through the weekend. And if you haven’t already, join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter . For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock.

Pollen: It looks like tree pollen might have peaked on Monday before the rain, at an itchingly high value of 2,359 grains per cubic meter. Hopefully we will see those values decrease over the next week. Wednesday rain will certainly help. Grasses and weeds are LOW, and mold spores are MODERATE.

Deadly storms in Australia

A powerful, slow-moving storm has been ravaging the region around Sydney in New South Wales in Australia over the past few days, and its hazards have killed at least three people.

Wind gusts over 80 mph have roared around Sydney, which weather.com reports has led to massive, 30-plus-foot waves. The dangerous conditions have stranded a Carnival cruise ship off-shore, according to the Sydney Morning Herald:

The cruise ship has been rocked about in swells of up to nine metres outside Sydney Heads, after the NSW Port Authority closed the Sydney Harbour port this morning, deeming the conditions to be “far too dangerous”.
The passengers are now facing the prospect of being stuck off shore for another 48 hours, until a harbor pilot can safely board the Carnival Spirit and direct the vessel into the port.

Some truly frightening video from the waters near Sydney during the storm: