A wind advisory is in effect until 8 p.m. for northern Fauquier, western Loudoun, and Frederick counties.

TODAY’S DAILY DIGIT
A somewhat subjective rating of the day’s weather, on a scale of 0 to 10.

5/10: Decently mild temps help salvage the day, despite pesky wind and possible PM thundershowers.

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Increasing chance of showers and storms, breezy. Highs: Upper 60s to near 70.
Tonight: Showers and storms end early. Lows: Upper 30s to mid-40s.
Tomorrow: Partly to mostly cloudy, cool. Highs: Upper 50s to low 60s.

Update at 10:55 a.m.: A wind advisory has been issued for our far north and west areas, including northern Fauquier, western Loudoun, and Frederick counties until 8 p.m. this evening. The Weather Service is expecting winds from the southwest at 20 to 30 mph, gusting to 50 mph in these areas at elevations above 2,000 feet.

FORECAST IN DETAIL

2-hour radar loop. Refresh page to update.

Temperatures in the 70s to near 80 will return eventually, we promise. For the foreseeable future, though, 60s to near 70 is about the best we can do. Today is the warmest of the next few, but with the likelihood of showers and possibly some thunder. We’ll trend cooler tomorrow into the weekend, which brings another chance of showers, but also some sunny periods to enjoy the outdoors.

Today (Wednesday): A cold front moving into the area from the northwest offers a 30% chance of morning showers, and then a 70% chance of afternoon showers and thunderstorms. Any storms look less intense than what we saw on Monday, but could produce brief downpours with gusty winds and small hail. Skies are partly to mostly cloudy as highs reach the upper 60s to near 70. Morning winds from the southwest shift to come from the west in the afternoon, sustained at 15-20 mph through the day with higher gusts. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Showers and storms should be exiting to the east and southeast by approximately 6-7 p.m. Winds scale back during the evening and temperatures turn kind of chilly, with lows in the upper 30s to mid-40s under partly cloudy skies. Confidence: Medium-High

For related traffic news, check out Dr. Gridlock. Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend…

Tomorrow (Thursday): We start out on the cold side, and don’t warm up all that much either. Not only are highs themselves rather cool, likely in the upper 50s to low 60s, but a steady breeze from the west at 10-20 mph doesn’t do us any favors. Neither does some residual upper-level energy, which probably keeps our skies partly to mostly cloudy. Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow night: Temperatures tumble through the 50s and into the 40s during the evening. Near and inside the Beltway and to the south and east, we’ll probably stop the drop around the upper 30s to low 40s. But areas north and west of the Beltway have the potential for scattered frost, as lows there could dip into the mid-30s. Confidence: Medium-High


A pretty spring scene near the Capitol on Monday. (Joe Flood via Flickr)

A LOOK AHEAD

Friday should feature increased sunshine, but continued cool temperatures with highs near 60 and a lingering breeze. Friday night provides another shot at scattered frost in the north and west suburbs, with lows potentially down to the mid-30s again in the north and west suburbs, with upper 30s to low 40s more likely elsewhere. Confidence: Medium-High

The weekend looks to remain seasonably cool, but with a decent amount of dry time to get outside. Saturday may trend cloudier once again as highs stall near 60, and low pressure tracking to our south could clip us with some showers Saturday afternoon and/or night (40% chance). Sunshine should make at least a partial comeback on Sunday, perhaps nudging highs into the 60s. Confidence: Medium