“He’s dealing with a few family issues,” Trotz said. “We’re trying to let him do that. He’s back, he’s in Washington. He’s just dealing with a couple things that happened back at home.”
Siegenthaler, the Capitals’ 2015 second-round draft pick, signed a three-year entry-level contract last year. He was on loan to the Zurich Lions last season, and in 40 games, the stay-at-home Swiss blue-liner scored three goals and tallied five assists. When the season was over, he played in six games with Hershey, but Bears Coach Troy Mann said he was “banged up” from the playoffs in Switzerland, so the organization decided to start his offseason before Hershey’s playoff run.
Siegenthaler said last month that he intended to play in North America this season; he is projected to spend the majority of the season in Hershey. The Bears’ training camp started Monday, and with Siegenthaler dealing with family issues, it’s unclear if the plan for him to play in Washington’s organization this season has changed.
The Capitals have to trim their roster to a maximum of 23 players by 5 p.m. Oct. 11.
More from The Post: