Doctors Without Borders staff are seen after an attack on their trauma center’s compound in the northern Afghan city of Kunduz on Oct. 3. (Médecins Sans Frontières via AP)

Late Monday night, a series of Saudi-led airstrikes leveled a Doctors Without Borders hospital in Saada, Yemen, effectively denying medical access to more than 200,000 people, according to a statement from the group.

Only one staff member was injured, as the hospital’s personnel were evacuated in between further strikes.

“This attack is another illustration of a complete disregard for civilians in Yemen, where bombings have become a daily routine,” said Hassan Boucenine, the relief organization’s head of mission in Yemen, in an online statement.

The charity, also known as Médecins Sans Frontières or its French acronym MSF, said the hospital’s coordinates had been “regularly shared” with the coalition before the strikes. On Wednesday, MSF said the coordinates were last shared with coalition forces on Oct. 24, two days before the buildings were hit.

[By evening, a hospital. By morning, a war zone.]

The loss of another hospital to destruction from the air is just one more instance in a disturbing month-long trend that has spanned multiple conflict zones.

Hospitals are protected areas under the International Law of Armed Conflict and are only viable military targets if the hospital is being used for a military objective. Even then, however, the facility must be given ample time to evacuate before it can be legally targeted.

In Syria, four hospitals have been bombed since Russian airstrikes began in the country on Sep. 30, according to international observers and news reports. Physicians for Human Rights, a group that tracks attacks on medical facilities and medical worker deaths in Syria, has recorded 313 attacks against medical facilities since the civil war began. According to the group, 283 of the attacks have been carried out by Syrian government forces.

The strikes hit hospitals in Al-Eis, Sarmin and Latamneh.

On Friday, advocacy group Human Rights Watch released a report stating that two possible Russian airstrikes in northern Homs on Oct. 15 killed 59 civilians, 33 of which were children. Human Rights Watch said the attacks were possibly unlawful and called on Russia to investigate the attacks.

[There are still a lot of questions around the U.S. bombing of the MSF hospital in Kunduz]

While Russian aircraft have been pictured using precision guided munitions, the majority of the airstrikes carried out by Russian aircraft use “dumb” bombs. There have also been reported sittings of Russian cluster munitions. On Tuesday, Secretary of Defense Ashton Carter told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the Russians’ use of “dumb” bombs for 85 to 90 percent of their strikes in Syria “increases the possibility” of more civilian casualties in the four-year old conflict.

In response to these claims, the Russian Deputy Minister of Defense, Anatoly Antonov, summoned the military attaches from a number of NATO countries to provide proof of their respective countries allegations that Russia is indeed targeting and bombing medical facilities — something if proven constitutes a war crime.

“If there is no evidence or official information refuting, the Russian Ministry of [Defense] would estimate such stovepiping as a part of information warfare against Russia,” the Russian Defense Ministry said in a written statement posted online.

While Russia disputes international claims that its forces bombed hospitals, the United States has taken responsibility for bombing a hospital run by MSF in Kunduz, Afghanistan.

Army General John Campbell clarified that the decision to provide air support to Afghan forces in Kunduz, which hit a hospital, was a U.S. decision. "We would never intentionally target a protected medical facility," Gen. Campbell said while testifying before the Senate Armed Services Committee on Oct. 6. (Associated Press)

The Pentagon has apologized and pledged a number of investigations into the Oct. 3 bombing, but it has yet to release any details about the circumstances that resulted in the death of 30 people, including 12 staff members and a number of patients. The attack, carried out for more than an hour by a heavily armed AC-130 gunship, burned out a large portion of the hospital — rendering it inoperable for the near future and causing MSF to evacuate the city altogether.

According to MSF, the hospital was one of the only trauma centers open to the public in northeastern Afghanistan. The group has requested an external investigation, as it believes the U.S. military is incapable of investigating itself, and has also accused the United States of war crimes for intentionally targeting a hospital, something the Pentagon denies.

Read more:

Afghan response to hospital bombing is muted, even sympathetic

Top U.S. general in Afghanistan: Hospital was ‘mistakenly struck’

The Pentagon’s evolving response to the Afghan hospital attack