Donovan McNabb has had a lot to say about Robert Griffin III’s situation in Washington. In May, McNabb told Mike Wise that he had unsuccessfully reached out to the Redskins quarterback to offer unsolicited guidance.
“Someone on his end was supposed to link us up, and it never happened,” he said. “No big deal. But I would like to sit down with him. I’d actually like me and my dad to sit down with RG and his dad.”
The issue was rehashed in RGIII’s recent GQ interview.
“Right now, it’s probably best that we don’t talk,” he said regarding McNabb’s outreach.
Word of the comment must have traveled quickly to McNabb and during his NBCSports radio show on Tuesday, the former Redskins quarterback shared some more thoughts on RGIII’s rejection. Here’s a transcription (via ComcastSportsNet), with some handy footnotes.
“I’m just trying to help him.1 Clearly the young generation, they think they have all the answers.2 He’s going through a little turmoil right now, trying to make it out on the field, and it’s unfortunate.3 But that’s where we’re at right now as far as these young quarterbacks who think they have all the answers.4 Until things start to fall apart and come down trembling on you, then you want some help.5 But it’s a shame. I honestly think that over there in Washington, he’s getting brainwashed.6 He’s getting input from whoever it may be on, ‘There’s no reason to talk to him, it didn’t work out here.’ If they expressed their dislike when I was there, or what I used to do, so be it.7 But, I hope the best for the young man, but the direction he’s going in is really a direction he does not want to do.8 He does not want to go there with me, especially when I got the last word.”9
2. Thirty-six is way too young to sound this old.
3. Said the newly syndicated radio host with an agenda and four hours to fill.
4. Unlike retired quarterbacks who think they have all the answers.
5. If something was trembling on me, I’d want help too.
6. This would explain all those dinners with Dan Snyder.
7. “Because brainwashing is the only explanation for why RGIII won’t return my calls.”
8. This is almost a sentence.
9. This is where the audio cuts off, probably because McNabb went on to say something silly.