I know this is old news, but let’s briefly recall the flap about DeSean Jackson’s uniform number when he arrived in Washington from Philadelphia, where he wore No. 10, the same number as a certain Redskins quarterback.
1) “I definitely am familiar with the No. 10 on Robert Griffin,” Jackson told reporters. “But, you know, we’ve talked about it a little bit, but there hasn’t been a decision that’s been made yet so far, but maybe by the time season starts we’ll know. But maybe RGIII will wear No. 3 and I’ll try to get in 10. We’ll see how it goes though. Never know.”
2) Jackson later told ESPN 980 that he might wear No. 4 during practice.
3) Jackson tweeted this photo:
4) Robert Griffin III tweeted this:
5) ESPN had this debate:
6) Jackson’s No. 11 jerseys went on sale, ending the issue.
But more than a month later, Jackson discussed the issue with DJ Skee.
“You know, I changed the Instagram name; it’s not Jaccpot10 no more, it’s 0ne0fone, you feel me?” Jackson said, talking about his uniqueness, I believe. “Even though 0ne0fone actually is number 11, because I’m number 11 now, but I still feel I’m one of 1.”
“Yeah, weren’t you trying to get RGIII’s jersey back?” DJ Skee then asked. “But he’d have to buy them all back, or there’s like a crazy rule….”
“It was like 20 million, they wanted to put like 20 million…” Jackson replied, and I’m not sure exactly what he meant. “But it was like a joke, you feel me? Some people from ESPN and all these people took it like, ‘Oh, I guess he hasn’t learned his lesson yet, he’s coming in already and wants RGIII’s number.’
“First of all, RG told me, ‘If you want it you can get it.’ That’s how cool he was. He was like: ‘Man, I’ll rock 3. You know, my name is RGIII.’ But at the end of the day the league was too invested in his jersey. And I was like it’s cool. You know, I’m coming in, I’m gonna get the 11. It’s gonna be 10-to-11 though, just know that.”
Clearly, this raises a few more questions than it answers. Like, how many more times am I going to quote DJ Skee?