“Britt McHenry has been suspended for one week effectively immediately,” ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said in an email.
Thursday afternoon, McHenry acknowledged the incident on Twitter.
“In an intense and stressful moment, I allowed my emotions to get the best of me and said some insulting and regrettable things. As frustrated as I was, I should always choose to be respectful and take the high road. I am so sorry for my actions and will learn from this mistake.”
In the video, which you can watch here (warning: numerous profanities within), McHenry can be heard making insulting comments toward the towing company employee receiving her check, such as:
- “That’s why I have a degree and you don’t.”
- “That’s all you care about is just taking people’s money. With no education, no skill-set. Just wanted to clarify that.”
- “Do you feel good about your job? So I could be a college dropout and do the same thing?”
- “Maybe if I was missing some teeth, they would hire me here, huh?”
- “Lose some weight, baby girl.”
The company involved, Advanced Towing, is no stranger to controversy. According to ARLnow.com, incidents of inappropriate towings are numerous. One man’s car was towed with his kids inside. Another woman’s car was hauled off with her dog inside. In some cases, trucks have been towed while their drivers made deliveries.