Lightning strikes during the rain delay in the game between the Giants and Nationals at Nationals Park. (Michael Owens/USA TODAY Sports)

As the skies grew dark around the Washington area Saturday night, the massive thunderstorm and torrential rain that followed caused extensive delays for all three teams playing in the area: the Nationals, D.C. United and the Mystics.

The Nationals and Mystics were both delayed for extended periods of time, while D.C. United’s match was postponed.

The Mystics, playing indoors at Capital One Arena, had the shortest delay of the night — 45 minutes — after a leak in the roof happened for the second time in 15 days. The same thing happened on July 28, when the Mystics had to cancel their game against the Connecticut Sun.

On Saturday, thunder could be heard clearly from inside the building before and during the delay.

The delay started just before the beginning of the second half after water starting falling from the roof. But, the delay didn’t hamper the mood of the players, who proceeded to participate in a dance-off. Mystics rookie Shatori Walker-Kimbrough and Natasha Cloud started the dance battle and after the game resumed, Washington went onto win 100-80 against the Indiana Fever. Mystics’ Krystal Thomas had a season-high 20 points on the night.

The Nationals sat through a major delay of just over three hours before their series opener against the San Francisco Giants. The teams had already been through one rainout on Friday, that wasn’t officially announced until about 9:45 p.m. Friday night. Giants Manager Bruce Bochy was informed of the postponement at 9:15 p.m. Friday, with Giants players already leaving the ballpark. That game was rescheduled for a split doubleheader on Sunday, with the first game of the day to start at 1:05 p.m. and the rescheduled game to start at 7:05 p.m.

On Saturday, it was originally sunny when the delay was announced, around 6:50 p.m., to the dismay of fans who booed the decision. They were asked to leave their seats and the scoreboard instructed that inclement weather was on the way, with the Skittles-themed tarp rolling onto the field.

The storm wound up hitting strong about an hour later, rolling through Nationals Park accompanied by gusting winds whistling throughout the concourse.

When the rain finally did lighten up an hour or so later, it left its damage on the field with the warning track submerged in water. However, the grounds crew managed to get the field back in shape to play, with fans returning to their seats around 9:10 p.m. The first pitch was thrown at 10:06 p.m., with light rain still coming down. The Nationals wound up forced to try to play 27 innings in 24 hours.

The rain caused more than a delay on Saturday for the Nationals. Right-fielder Bryce Harper had to leave the game in the first inning with an apparent left knee injury. As Harper was trying to beat out a groundball to first, he lunged and slipped on the bag. Wet conditions could have played a role in Harper’s injury. He was helped off the field without putting any weight on his left leg.

As for D.C. United, the team was forced to postpone its match after RFK Stadium’s field was turned into more of a lake than a soccer field.

Unlike the Nationals, United had already started its match against Real Salt Lake when the thunderstorm hit. In the 29th-minute, the teams had to stop play as the rain came falling down. After 90 minutes of thunder and lightning, the field began to drain, but the conditions were too wet to play in. Referee Drew Fischer called the match at about 9:05 p.m., and it was rescheduled for Sunday at 7 p.m. The teams will pick up from where they left off.

United fans did their best to stay chipper as they waited out the storm.