A Metro maintenance worker has been arrested on charges of stealing 13 defibrillators from the transit agency and selling them on online auction sites.

Derrick Davis, 40, of Laurel was charged with theft Thursday in Prince George’s County District Court.

According to Metro officials, undercover detectives with Metro Transit Police had been investigating Davis for months and reached out to him on eBay to try to buy a defibrillator.

Metro officials said Davis remained in jail as of Friday and is awaiting a bail hearing.

Metro spokesman Dan Stessel said Friday that the stolen equipment is worth about $18,200. Davis allegedly stole the defibrillators from the Greenbelt rail yard and from rail stations along the Green Line, according to Stessel.

The investigation into Davis is continuing, officials said. Stessel said Davis is suspended from his job without pay, per Metro’s policies.

“We will pursue all administrative action up to and including termination,” Stessel said.

Metro said it did a full-scale check of defibrillators at its stations following the death of a man after an apparent heart attack on a Yellow Line train. Passersby tried to help the man, using a defibrillator that was in the Pentagon station, but it was not fully charged at the time.

The transit agency has had other problems with theft.

Last year, two Metro workers, who became known as the “Coin Thieves,” pleaded guilty to stealing $445,000 in cash — mostly in coins — from fare machines.

Horace D. McCade, 58, of Bowie, a revenue technician, and John V. Hale, 54, of Woodbridge, a Metro Transit Police officer, stole the money and hid it in a spot near the Capital Beltway.

They would collect the bags after their shifts were done. Haile would use bags of stolen money to buy lottery tickets. He often won.

Due to incorrect information from Metro, this article had said that Davis had been suspended from his job with pay. The article has been corrected to reflect that he is not being paid while on suspension.