Baby boy named Amir Mason who was born at a Metro platform at L'Enfant Plaza on Thursday. (Photo courtesy of Shavonnte Taylor) Amir Mason, who was born on a platform at the L’Enfant Plaza Metro station Thursday. (Photo courtesy of Shavonnte Taylor)

The baby boy who was born at a Metro station is being monitored for a few more days at the George Washington University Hospital, according to officials there.

Amir Mason was born shortly before 11 a.m. Thursday at the Metro stop. His mother — Shavonnte Taylor, 23, of Southeast — gave birth at the station as she was trying to get to a doctor’s appointment near Foggy Bottom.

Amir weighed in at 8 pounds, 5 ounces and “may spend a few additional days” at the hospital “for follow-up care” in the neonatal intensive care unit, according to a statement issued by the hospital Friday afternoon.

The baby came two weeks early — Taylor’s due date was Aug. 17. En route to Foggy Bottom for her doctor’s appointment, she said, she started to feel contractions as the train pulled into L’Enfant Plaza. But before she could make it to another train to transfer lines, she fell to her knees in pain from more contractions.

Taylor was helped by several Metro Transit Police and station managers. Autumn Manka of Dumfries, who is a licensed emergency medical technician, helped deliver the baby on the floor of the platform on the mezzanine level of the stop as trains passed through the station. Other passersby helped — with one man taking off his T-shirt and another Metro customer giving hand sanitizer.

Amir is Taylor’s fourth child. He was dubbed Metro Baby on social media outlets as news of his birth spread quickly.

On Thursday, Saa Alpha, a station manager who helped Taylor, said everyone who assisted her at the station was concerned about the well-being of mother and child and described a minute of silence when the crying baby boy “popped out.”

Mohamed Mohamed, a doctor at George Washington University Hospital, said in Friday’s statement that “since Amir was delivered prematurely, we are monitoring his condition.”

Testing of the newborn includes monitoring his breathing and heart rate. The hospital statement said, “Amir suffered from respiratory distress shortly after birth.”

“He is doing well now and we weaned him to room air on Friday morning,” Mohamed said in the statement, adding that the baby is also on antibiotics for “a possible infection.”

Taylor is expected to be discharged from the hospital on Saturday.