Some streets near Union Station are closed Tuesday morning after a District police officer shot and killed a man wanted in a recent homicide outside a Northwest Washington apartment.

Police have closed K Street NW between North Capitol Street and New Jersey Avenue as the investigation continues.

The incident occurred about 6:45 a.m. Tuesday between First and K streets NW in the Sursum Corda neighborhood between NoMa and Union Station, police said.

D.C. Police Chief Cathy L Lanier said the suspect came out of a residence with a gun and opened fire on officers. She said police returned fire. The man died shortly after arriving at an area hospital.

The officers were members of the U.S. Marshal’s Capital Area Regional Task Force, which hunts down fugitives. The shooting prompted the arrival of heavily armed police carrying semiautomatic weapons to the area near First and K Street NW.

Officer Araz Alali, a D.C. police spokesman, said no officers were injured in the incident, which occurred about 6:35 a.m. in Sursum Corda, a public housing complex between the train station and the newly branded NoMa neighborhood.

Lanier said the name of the man who was killed along with details of the homicide in which he is suspected will be released later this morning.

Tim Reese, a crane tower operator for a construction company building a nine-story apartment building at First and K streets, said he arrived thus morning to find his parking lot filled with dark unmarked police sport utility vehicles. He said officers drove off about 6:30 am and headed straight to an apartment building dressed in tactical vests and helmets.

A few minutes later he said he heard a volley of gunshots — between six and eight — followed by a pause and then another round of shots. “It was like a war,” Reese said. “It was just like in the show Cops.”

Michael Sprague, a concrete supervisor, said he was in his car parked on the east side of the building. He said he saw officers rushing toward an apartment and thought, “I have to get out of here.” He rushed into the partially constructed building and hid near an elevator shaft as the gunfire erupted.

Peter Hermann contributed to this report.