D.C. officials announced the deployment of five new speed cameras in Southeast neighborhoods where speeding has been identified as a problem.
The cameras will be deployed this week in the following blocks:
- Unit block 47th St SE northwest bound
- 1600 block Minnesota Ave SE southwest bound
- 2700 block Wade Rd SE northeast bound
- 800 block Southern Ave SE southwest bound
- 800 block Barnaby St SE southwest bound
For the first 30 days of operation, the cameras will issue warnings. Once that 30-day period expires, violators will be given citations.
Last month, 14 new speed cameras — and a camera to detect trucks driving in a restricted area — made their debut in the District, part of an aggressive campaign officials say will make the city safer. Others however, have said the cameras, which have brought millions into city coffers, are less about safety than about making money.