One body was discovered shortly after the sinking. The bodies of the rest of the crew have not been recovered, the NTSB said.
The NTSB on Sunday released two minutes of excerpts from 47 minutes of video as well as nine underwater photos. All were recorded by a remote-controlled submersible vehicle at depths where the water pressure is too great to allow divers to venture.
They show an intact but badly damaged vessel, however, it’s hard to know how much of that damage was done by the hurricane and how much came at depths where a water pressure of 6,500 pounds per square inch can bend metal framework.
The El Faro’s captain called in before the ship went down to say its engines were dead. Captain Michael Davidson said the ship was listing, and taking on water. NTSB investigators have said Davidson intended to pass 65 miles from the center of the storm.
Families of crew members who went down with the El Faro have filed lawsuits against the ship’s owners, Sea Star Line, LLC. The ship was operated by TOTE Services. A lawyer for one family, Willie E. Gary, said at a news conference last year that, “The ship should have never left the docks.”
Gray said “The ship was not seaworthy. We are going to do everything within our power to make sure that all the facts of this case [are] exposed.”