The Washington PostDemocracy Dies in Darkness

Man arrested after he started to walk into a Metro tunnel, causing Red Line delays

Placeholder while article actions load

Updated at 11:18 a.m.

Metro officials said they have arrested a 29-year-old man after he started to walk into the tunnel inside the Judiciary Square station, prompting police to respond and causing delays for Red Line riders in the Monday morning rush hour.

Officials said Mamadou Seck, of Arlington, was arrested and charged with trespassing. He was seen walking “beyond the security gate” at the stop and “proceeding into the tunnel.”

The incident started around 9 a.m. As transit police tried to locate the man, trains had to stop running while officers were on the track. At times, the third rail power to the tracks had to be turned off as more than a dozen police officers searched the area, officials said. They said no one was injured during the incident.

Updated at 9:50 a.m.

Metro said trains on its Red Line are now moving but at slower speeds than usual between the Brookland and NoMa stops.

Earlier, trains were stopped because an unauthorized person was on the tracks at the Judiciary Square stop.

A Metro spokesman said no one was hurt.

Updated at 9:34 a.m.

Metro Transit Police said a man was walking beyond a gated platform area at the Judiciary Square station on the Red Line, causing delays for riders in both directions.

Trains are holding in both directions.

Police said on Twitter officials were “performing tunnel inspections at this time.” Officials said trains will hold until the officers are out of the area.

It is not clear how long that will last.

Riders shared on social media —

Original post at 9:20 a.m.

Riders on Metro’s Red Line should expect delays Monday morning.

There is an “unauthorized person” on the tracks at the Judiciary Square station, Metro said. There are delays in both directions, and it is not clear how long the delays will last.

A Metro official said at 9:24 a.m. “trains are holding at this time.”