Rolando McClain (55) wraps up one of his teammates and a Chiefs player. (Ed Zurga / AP)

Although he wanted to be released by the Oakland Raiders and explicitly expressed that wish this week on Facebook, linebacker Rolando McClain has instead been suspended for two games by the Raiders for conduct detrimental to the team.

Sources told Jay Glazer of Fox Sports that McClain was told the news this morning. McClain, 23, was the Raiders’ first-round pick — No. 8 overall — in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Earlier in the week he had posted on Facebook (via SFGate.com): “Officially no longer an Oakland Raider!!” and then “Well technically I am. But I’m mentally done. Just waiting on my papers.” He promised “I’m gonna weigh my options. Looking forward to playing for an actual ‘team.’ ” The comments have since been deleted.

On Thursday, McClain was kept out of practice for a second straight day, but Coach Dennis Allen said he was not suspended. Still, he promised there would be “consequences to his actions” for “a team-related issue.” “I don’t really want to get into the details of it. We asked him not to come to practice today.”

So, rather than getting his freedom, McClain will be hit in the wallet and remains with the Raiders, to whom he will able to return Dec. 10. Despite playing on Alabama’s national championship team, he has not excelled in the NFL; in 41 games, he has 6 1/2 sacks, one interception and one forced fumble.

Follow @CindyBoren on Twitter and on Facebook.