Details of the final moments in the lives of Kasandra Perkins and Jovan Belcher are emerging, with the Kansas City Star reporting that moments after fatally shooting his girlfriend, the Kansas City Chiefs player leaned over her in their master bedroom, apologized and kissed her forehead.

The Star’s Christine Vendel, citing police sources, writes that Belcher, whose mother was visiting the couple from out of town, then kissed the couple’s three-month-old daughter and headed for Arrowhead Stadium, where he shot himself to death as Coach Romeo Crennel and General Manager Scott Pioli tried to convince him to drop his gun. As he drove his blood-stained Bentley the five miles from his home to the stadium, he began to believe there was only one way out.

“He probably realized he had done something and he couldn’t go back,” said Police Sgt. Richard Sharp.
In the parking lot of the practice facility at 1 Arrowhead Drive, Belcher encountered Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli. Belcher stepped out of his Bentley with a gun pointed at his own head, police said.
“I did it,” he said, according to police. “I killed her.”

Perkins and Belcher had argued after Perkins attended a concert Friday night and Belcher had “partied,” police said, in Kansas City’s Power and Light District. Belcher reportedly was unhappy that Perkins had stayed out until 1 a.m.

Police believe alcohol may have caused the argument to grow more heated, but toxicology reports are not yet available. The couple had been having problems and the Chiefs were providing counseling, but Belcher told Pioli that “It was too late.”

When another Chiefs employee arrived, Pioli told him to stay back. Meanwhile Pioli tried to persuade Belcher to lay down the weapon, Sharp said.
Belcher thanked Pioli for everything he had done for him. He asked if he and Clark Hunt would take care of his daughter.
Chiefs Head Coach Romeo Crennel and linebackers coach Gary Gibbs arrived in the parking lot and Belcher reportedly announced, “Guys, I have to do this.”
Crennel tried to dissuade him.
“I was trying to get him to understand that life is not over,” Crennel told The Star. “He still has a chance and let’s get this worked out.’’

Police were closing in on Arrowhead and, as sirens grew louder, Belcher took a few steps away from Pioli and Crennel, still holding the gun to his head.

“I got to go,” Belcher reportedly said. “I can’t be here.”
Belcher knelt behind a vehicle and made the sign of the cross across his chest before firing a single bullet into his head.

Follow @CindyBoren on Twitter and on Facebook.