The Washington Post

Michael Jordan paternity lawsuit is dropped

The paternity suit against Michael Jordan has been dropped. (Chuck Burton / AP) The paternity suit against Michael Jordan has been dropped. (Chuck Burton / AP)

A lawyer for an Atlanta woman said she has withdrawn a paternity lawsuit she filed against Michael Jordan in an Atlanta.

“Ms. [Pamela Y.] Smith has authorized a dismissal of the current suit against Mr. Jordan,” her attorney, Randall M. Kessler, said in an email to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Monday. The lawsuit was withdrawn Friday without prejudice, which means it could be refiled. Dropping the suit now is in her “son’s best interest,” her lawyer told the AJC.

Jordan, 50, denied that he was the 16-year-old’s father and had filed a countersuit, contending that, in Smith’s divorce case, her ex-husband had been established as the father of the teenager.

Estee Portnoy, Jordan’s spokeswoman, told the Associated Press on Monday that there was no financial settlement with Smith and that the lawsuit was without merit. Jordan recently applied for a license to marry his longtime fiancee.

Follow @CindyBoren on Twitter and on Facebook.

After spending most of her career in traditional print sports journalism, Cindy began blogging and tweeting, first as NFL/Redskins editor, and, since August 2010, at The Early Lead. She also is the social media editor for Sports.
Comments
Show Comments
Most Read

sports

early-lead

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters

Close video player
Now Playing

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.