Boston woke Tuesday morning to grief and unanswered questions, as investigators searched for whoever detonated two bombs near the finish line of the venerated Boston Marathon, lifting runners off their feet, killing at least three people and injuring more than 170 others.

See the latest developments below.


What we know

  • Martin Richard, 8, died in the bomb blast.
  • Krystle Campbell, 29, was the second person to be identified as a fatal victim in the Boston bombings.
  • Boston University reported that one of its graduate students was killed in Monday’s blast.
  • Denise Richard, Martin’s mother, underwent surgery for a serious brain injury; friends of the family said. Jane, his sister, had a traumatic leg injury.
  • The FBI said the bombs were made from pressure cookers. Homeland Security warned about the danger of pressure cooker bombs in 2004.
  • Some 180 others suffered injuries that included severed limbs, shrapnel wounds and abdominal lacerations.
  • As of noon Tuesday, the FBI had over 2,000 tips. As of 5 p.m. the FBI was not aware of any claims of responsibility.
  • President Obama said he will travel to Boston on Thursday.

We’re wrapping up the live blog for the night, but follow along with the latest developments on the Post homepage. We’ll be back in the morning with more live updates.

Before-and-after photos raise questions

An NBC affiliate in Boston released photographs taken before and after one of the Boston Marathon explosions. The TV station reported that the photographs were submitted to the FBI, as the photographer believes the images show the location of the bomb. See the report here:

WHDH-TV 7News Boston

Letter with ricin sent to senator’s office

An envelope that tested positive for the deadly poison ricin was sent to Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) Tuesday afternoon at the U.S. Capitol’s off-site mail facility in Washington, Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid told The Washington Post.

The letter came up in a briefing in a closed-door briefing Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and FBI Director Robert Mueller did for senators Tuesday evening on the Boston attacks.

Federal officials discovered the poison-laced letter at an off-site location where congressional mail has been screened since anthrax-laced letters were sent to Capitol Hill in 2001. Officials gave no indication why the letter was sent to Wicker, a low-profile senator in his second term.

In 2004, three Senate office buildings were closed after preliminary tests found ricin delivered through the mail system in the Senate majority leader’s office. At the time the Associate Press wrote, “Twice as deadly as cobra venom, ricin, which is derived from the castor bean plant, is relatively easily made and can be inhaled, ingested or injected.”

It was unclear if there was any connection to Boston, but in the heightened security after the Marathon, the news quickly spread, with ricin becoming a worldwide trending topic on Twitter within minutes of the news breaking.

The FBI agent in charge


“Meet Richard DesLauriers,” via NBC News.

Ignatius: The limits of intelligence collection

David Ignatius explains the limits of intelligence systems and puts the Boston bombing in the frame of other homeland attacks:

The sophisticated counterterrorism systems the United States have developed since 2001 will be helpful, but only up to a point. Surveillance systems were deployed throughout Boston for the marathon, and especially near the finish line, and every available law-enforcement officer was on duty. But that didn’t stop the bombings. It’s reassuring that all the cameras and other surveillance gear, and the analytic systems to interpret the raw data, will help generate leads. But the Boston bombings show that surveillance technology isn’t a panacea.

The Boston attack also shows the limits of intelligence collection, at home and abroad. Terrorists have become more sophisticated in evading detection. They maintain better discipline in keeping their communications out of monitoring range, as demonstrated by Osama bin Laden’s amazing years of hiding in plain sight in a Pakistani military town. They have learned how to foil surveillance cameras by using light disguises.

“Humint,” the jargon term for gathering intelligence from real human beings, remains the hardest challenge. Seeing into the minds of adversaries was difficult with an organization that numbered into the hundreds, like the core of al-Qaeda. It will be much tougher with small, decentralized groups or individuals.

Read his full report here.

Krystle Campbell’s parents speak out


Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old woman from Arlington, Mass. was the second person to be identified as a fatal victim in the Boston bombings.

Campbell’s parents, William and Patty Campbell, told Boston’s WCVB TV that she attended the race to cheer on a friend. Immediately after the bombing, they believed that it was Krystle’s friend who had been killed:

When William and Patty Campbell were finally allowed in to see the patient, they realized it was not their daughter.
“I said, ‘That’s not my daughter, that’s Karen! Where’s my daughter?’” Patty Campbell said.

Krystle loved pets and people, according to her parents.

Boston U says graduate student killed in blast

Boston University’s main Twitter account reported that one of its graduate students was killed in Monday’s blast:

And this letter from BU’s president was posted on the university’s Facebook page:

Dear Friends,
I write to you with great sadness to inform you that one of the fatalities in yesterday’s bombing near the finish line of the Boston Marathon has been identified as a Boston University graduate student. In addition, as I reported to you yesterday, another Boston University student was seriously injured in the blast and is being treated at Boston Medical Center.
We cannot at present release the names of the victims. I can tell you that the injured student is in stable condition.
Our hearts and thoughts go out to the family and friends of both victims. As you may know, there is a vigil scheduled to take place this afternoon on Marsh Plaza at 5:30 p.m. Now that we know just how seriously the Boston University community has been affected by yesterday’s events, this vigil takes on a deeper and more somber significance.
Those who have been touched by this terrible tragedy and wish to seek counseling can do so through the Dean of Students Office, through our University chaplains, the Student Health Services, and through the Sexual Assault Response & Prevention Center (SARP). Updated information on the situation and on counseling resources can be found on BU Today.
Robert A. Brown

Injured student searches for ‘Tyler’

At the end of this afternoon’s press conference, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick told reporters about Victoria, a student at Northeastern University who was hit with shrapnel on Monday and carried to the medical tent. The student was hysterical, Patrick said, but calmed by an Army veteran who served in Afghanistan and showed her his own shrapnel wound.

“His name is Tyler. That’s all we know,” the governor said. “Victoria very, very much wants to thank Tyler personally.”

Tyler is urged to call 617-725-4000.

One Fund Boston established to help victims

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino have announced the formation of the One Fund Boston, Inc. to help those most affected by Monday’s attack. You can donate by visiting

FBI: Black nylon found at scene

FBI Special Agent Richard DesLaurier said at a press conference on Tuesday afternoon that officers spent the morning collecting evidence from the scene and found fragments of BB’s or nails, and pieces of “black nylon” that investigators believe was part of a backpack or bag that held the bombs.

DesLaurier asked the public to contact authorities if they remember seeing a person carrying an “unusually heavy” dark-colored bag near the marathon route on Monday.

“Someone knows who did this,” he said. “Cooperation from the community will play a crucial role in this.”

Authorities are also vetting tips they have already received. As of noon  Tuesday, the count was over 2,000. As of 5 p.m. the FBI was not aware of any claims of responsibility.

“We are doing this methodically, carefully, yet with a sense of urgency,” DesLaurier said.

Obama to travel to Boston Thursday

From a White House statement:

“On Thursday morning, the President will travel to Boston to speak at an interfaith service dedicated to those who were gravely wounded or killed in Monday’s bombing near the finish line of the Boston Marathon.”

Martin Richard: ‘No more hurting people’

In 2012, Martin Richard, the 8-year-old Dorchester boy who was killed in the marathon explosions, marched at Boston’s City Hall to call for peace.

Richard’s second-grade class was there to “express themselves in a positive manner and become more engaged in the politics of the city,” according to a story about the march.

A Facebook page created by Martin’s class at Dorchester’s Neighborhood House Charter School showed the students preparing for the march. It included a photo of Martin holding a sign that said “No more hurting people.” The page was pulled from Facebook after Martin was identified as a victim of Monday’s bombing. (Scroll down to see what the page looked like before it was taken down.) Martin is the boy holding a peace sign in a photo that was added on May 8, 2012.

The school says it is grieving for Martin and his family. It released this statement and identified Martin’s mother, another victim of the bombing, as a school librarian:

The Neighborhood House Charter School is mourning today the loss of our beloved student Martin Richard, during the tragic events at the Boston Marathon yesterday. He was a bright, energetic young boy who had big dreams and high hopes for his future. We are heartbroken by this loss.

We are also praying for his mother, Denise, our school librarian and sister Jane, another Neighborhood House Charter student, who were seriously injured yesterday. Our thoughts are with his father, Bill Richard, and older brother, Henry. They are a wonderful family and represent the very best this city has to offer. (Read the whole statement).

Boston bombing victim Martin Richard rallies for peace

Scene in Boston

There wasn’t a table to be had at Cafeteria’s outdoor café at the corner of Newbury and Gloucester Streets Tuesday afternoon, many filled with runners proudly wearing their official blue and yellow Boston Marathon jackets. And immediately across Newbury Street, a Boston police crusier  three officers and blue Boston Police barricades closed Gloucester Street, a block away from Boylston Street, the marathon course cum crime scene.

So the post-marathon celebration – muted to be sure – went on as a phalanx of local and federal law enforcement officers began sifting through surveillance videos, cell phone snapshots, cell tower records, eyewitness accounts and fragments on the cordoned off marathon course that may ultimately lead them to the terrorists who bombed the Boston Marathon.

The police were everywhere. Runners in blue and yellow marathon jackets were everywhere. They shared a bond, the iconic road race that drew 27,000 runners and tens of thousands of spectators and family members to the Back Bay when the bombs went off Monday at 2:50 p.m., with runners pouring across the finish line and thousands more still out on the course.

For someone bent on staging a high-profile attack with mass casualties, there was no better target.

“Today’s usually about still celebrating, just like last night would have been,” said Tim Walline, 48, an eye surgeon from Kansas City wearing his jacket and looking for a cab to take him to the airport. “But we were in our hotel, kind of shut down.”

He used a word on the tip of everyone’s tongue in Boston on the day after the marathon – somber. “It’s very somber,” he said. “You feel awful for those who suffered loss.”

Monday’s race was his fourth straight Boston Marathon, which he finished in 3:27. It was a quality finish, but somehow felt rather insignificant. “I’m whining about all my cramps in my hamstrings and how that slowed me down on the hills – don’t whine.”

“I’m just thankful she wasn’t in the bleachers,” Walline said, glancing at his wife as a cab pulled up on Newbury Street. He was pulling his roller bag and had his bright yellow marathon gear bag slung over his shoulder.

He didn’t hesitate when asked for his feelings about the Boston Marathon. “I love it, and I’ll back, of course. Don’t let the bad guys get the upper hand.”

Beatrice Von Rotz strolled on Newbury Street wearing her marathon jacket – and her finisher’s medal, a medal she never got until Tuesday when she went to pick up her gear. She was less than a mile from the finish line when the bombs went off and race officials ended the race and told thousands of runners still out on the course to stop.

“For me, I was cheated – it’s not normal, it’s an attack against the world, against all people, an attack against families and children,” said Von Rotz, 55, a youthful grandmother from Luzerne, Switzerland who has run marathons in New York, Berlin, London and now, Boston.

“I always felt secure, even at New York, with twice as many people, and London, and the marathon in Berlin,” she said. “I hope they keep going on – it’s not the fault of security here. They have been present at all times, during 26 miles. I’ve never seen so many policemen. I really felt safe. I would recommend it to anybody to come here and run the marathon.”

After the race was cancelled and Von Rotz was told to stop running, she walked back to her hotel without a clue about what had happened. She’s heard someone say a gas line had exploded. “And then in the hotel I switched on the television and they were talking about a bomb attack – two bombs.”

Boston Med Center: 7 patients in critical condition

More than 24 hours after the explosions, Boston doctors and trauma surgeons continue to care for those seriously injured in the blasts.

The Boston Medical Center received 23 patients with little warning on Monday. On Tuesday morning, 10 of the patients were in critical condition. At a press conference late Tuesday afternoon, Dr. Tracey Dechert said that several patients had improved and seven remained in critical condition. They ranged in age from 5 to 78 and sustained injuries ranging from scalp wounds, abdominal wounds and soft tissue injuries to lower leg injuries. Of these 23, 19 remain at Boston Medical Center; 7 are listed in critical condition, 6 in serious condition and 6 in fair condition. The majority of these patients will require further surgery over the next several days. An update will be released tomorrow morning.

Dechert, a trauma surgeon, said that doctors have scheduled at least eight operations for Wednesday and several for Thursday. At this point, she said that doctors are especially worried about infection.

“They seem remarkably calm,” Dechert said. “They seem to be handling this remarkably well.”

Two runners married hours after completing marathon

Kelli Johnston and Robert Watling got married in Boston on Monday — only hours after running the Boston Marathon, and only blocks from the site of the deadly explosions.

Buzzfeed reports that the Dallas couple, who got to know each other over lengthy runs, went ahead with the ceremony at the Boston Common a little after 6 p.m., despite the attacks. Both Johnston and Watling crossed the finish line before the bombs detonated.

Their story reflects the passion for running that the Boston marathon celebrates. According to the couple’s wedding Web site, they met in May 2011 and ran a Memorial Day 5K as their first date. Watling, who grew up in Northern Virginia, proposed after the couple ran the Chicago marathon in October. The marathon-themed wedding, complete with custom running shoes, has apparently been in the works for a while. Boston’s NECN filmed a segment on it before the race.

“Running the Boston Marathon in 2013 is something Kelli never dreamed possible,” Johnson and Watling wrote on their Web site. “Next to the Chicago Marathon where she ran a personal best and was the setting for Robert’s proposal, the Boston Marathon is one her favorites. Running this race with Robert on April 15, 2013 and lighting the Olympic torch of marriage shortly thereafter is truly a dream come true!”

Watch the NECN segment on the couple below.

Vigils planned in and around Boston

(Spencer Platt / Getty Images)

Several Boston-area vigils are planned for Tuesday afternoon and evening, and Wednesday. The Boston CBS affiliate’s Web site has a schedule of these vigils, which include events at  churches, Boston Common and college campuses.

How to help after the bombings

Looking for a way to help out in the wake of the bombings? The Boston Globe assembled a useful guide, which includes information on offering places to stay, making donations and other ways to contribute.

Details emerge about victim Krystle Campbell

Krystle Campbell, 29, the second confirmed victim killed by Monday’s bombings, was at the marathon watching with a friend. It took quite some time for her family and friends to learn of her death because of a case of mistaken identity, the Post’s Carol D. Leonnig reports.

From Leonnig:

She died on the scene of the explosion, friends said they learned Tuesday afternoon. But in a cruel case of mistaken identity, for many hours Monday evening and Tuesday morning, friends and family thought she was simply being treated for as serious leg injury. Campbell had apparently given her photo identification for her friend to hold in her back pocket; it was the friend who had the leg injury.

Friends and neighbors described Campbell as a hard-working and generous daughter and friend. Yann Kumin, a longtime friend and high school football coach, said Campbell’s close-knit group of friends were “just heartbroken” in part because so many were used to relying on Campbell in time of personal or financial crisis. They planned to gather at a friend’s house Tuesday evening to grieve together.

We’ll have more information on Campbell as it becomes available.

DHS: No evidence bombings tied to wider plot

(Saul Loeb / Getty Images)

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said there’s “no evidence that the bombings” on Monday are part of a larger plot, according to the Associated Press.

But Napolitano said the Department of Homeland Security will keep up “enhanced security measures at transportation hubs” as a precautionary tactic.

Yankees will honor victims with ‘Sweet Caroline’

Arsenal and Everton observed a moment of silence for Boston victims. (AFP / Getty Images)

The New York Yankees will honor the victims of Monday’s Boston Marathon bombings by borrowing a little tradition from their arch-rivals, the Red Sox.

They’ll play “Sweet Caroline,” the Neil Diamond song that’s a Fenway Park staple, after the third inning of their game tonight against Arizona in Yankee Stadium. A moment of silence for victims will follow.

Overnight, Diamond, who has been surprised that his ode to a lonely Caroline Kennedy turned into a New England fan favorite, sent his own regards to Boston.

The marathon course the day after

(Vernon Loeb/The Washington Post) (Vernon Loeb/The Washington Post)

Post editor Vernon Loeb snapped this photograph of flowers adorning a barricade on Hereford Street. In the distance, two police officers stand at the part of the marathon course immediately before the turn onto Boyltston Street, about 600 yards to the finish line.

Video: Marathon explosion captured on runner’s camera

Amateur video by runner Jennifer Treacy shows the moment of one of the explosions at the Boston Marathon on Monday.

Airlines, hotels waive fees after bombing

Airlines and hotel chains are waiving fees in the wake of the bombing Monday.

USA Today notes that the country’s biggest airlines have waived the fees normally charged when travelers change flight reservations:

All of the USA’s biggest airlines have instituted flexible rebooking policies, including American, Delta, Southwest, United and US Airways. Also waiving fees for Boston customers is JetBlue, the busiest carrier at Logan Airport.

In addition, hotel chains are also waiving fees for canceled or altered trips to Boston.

Globe: Part possibly used as trigger found

Shelly Murphy, a reporter at the Boston Globe, just reported that investigators have found a circuit board believed to have been used to trigger the bombs on Monday.

Wide array of photos and videos could offer clues

Investigators asking for photos and videos from the Boston Marathon bombings have something working in their favor: a lot of photos, video footage and other data that could offer potential clues.

My colleague Ellen Nakashima notes that the event was very heavily documented, ranging from surveillance cameras and cell phone towers to personal photos and video footage:

Investigators said they had already received a huge volume of tips, but appealed to the public to share any amateur photos or videos they might provide clues. Officials have said they do not have any suspects. …

A federal law enforcement official said the FBI is also checking cellphone activity on towers near the scene of the blasts. Experts say that data could be particularly useful if the explosives were detonated by phone, especially since they know the exact time the blast occurred.

Reports identify second victim killed in bombing

Inside Medford and Yahoo! News have both identified the second victim killed in the bombing as Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old from Medford.

(Update, 2:15 P.M.: The Boston Globe also identified Campbell.) (Update, 2:35 P.M.: The Associated Press has also identified Campbell, noting that she managed a restaurant in nearby Arlington.)

Yahoo! spoke with her father, William A. Campbell Jr.:

“My daughter was the most lovable girl. She helped everybody, and I’m just so shocked right now. We’re just devastated,” he said. “She was a wonderful, wonderful girl. Always willing to lend a hand.”

Campbell graduated from Medford High School in 2001, according to Inside Medford.

Runners sadly pick up their things

Bags containing runners’ belongings are unclaimed. (Justin Lane / EPA)

The day after the Boston Marathon bombings, runners took up the sad, mundane task of retrieving the gear they’d left at the starting line.

“I’m still kind of shell-shocked,” Arthur Webb, a Santa Rosa, Calif., runner who has competed in 100 marathons, told the Boston Globe.

At the corner of Berkeley Street and St. James Avenue, officials were giving runners back their things, along with a medal. Runners typically leave items such as warmups, towels, keys and cellphones when they set out on a race.

“We were almost there [at the finish line] when a volunteer stopped us, and told us they were closing the race,” Meghan Cole told the Globe. “I didn’t believe it. I thought it was a joke.”


Signs of the times in Boston


Boston stories of kindness and heroism

(Spencer Platt/Getty)

The Boston bombing has produced tales of sorrow and loss, but there have also been many stories of kindness and heroism.

My colleague Caitlin Dewey reports about some of these acts of kindness, which include  people offering strangers food and a place to stay:

Each message was a reminder of humanity in the midst of an inhuman tragedy. And even as the smoke from Monday’s bomb blasts cleared, Boston saw many such reminders.

“People were so extraordinary,” (Sandra) Sukstorf said. “You could never, ever prepare for something like this, but they did everything they could.”

Restaurants are offering outlets, food and drinks, ministers are handing out Bibles and more. Read Caitlin’s story here.

More details on Boston bombs

The bombs that exploded at the Boston Marathon “were fashioned out of pressure cookers and packed with shards of metal, nails and ball bearings,” the Associated Press reported Tuesday afternoon:

A person who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation was still going on said that the explosives were put in 6-liter pressure cookers, placed in black duffel bags and left on the ground. They were packed with shrapnel to inflict maximum carnage, the person said.

The person said law enforcement officials have some of the bomb components but do not yet know what was used to set off the explosives.

The AP also notes that similar pressure-cooker explosives have been used in Afghanistan, India, Nepal and Pakistan.

Chalk memorial to Martin Richard

Boston Globe reporter Billy Baker tweeted this photo of a chalk memorial to Martin Richard, the eight-year-old victim killed in the bombing.

The memorial was created by Richard’s friends who are playing “while their parents whisper,” Baker said.

(Photo via)

Saudi national a witness, not a suspect

Since the bombing, multiple media reports have mentioned a Saudi national who was questioned by police. Some reports have identified him as a suspect in the bombing, but law enforcement officials tell the Washington Post’s Greg Miller that he is regarded as a witness, not as a suspect.

The Saudi, who is recuperating at a Boston hospital, is in his 20s and is in the United States on a Saudi scholarship to study at a university in the Boston area.

The federal officials’ explanation echoed comments by a Saudi official at the country’s embassy in Washington. The embassy official said that a Saudi national has been questioned as a witness but is not regarded as a suspect. The Saudi official cited information provided to the embassy by U.S. law enforcement officials.

For more, read Miller’s story.

Security to be increased at Verizon Center

(Saul Loeb / Getty Images)

There will be “enhanced” security tonight for the Washington Capitals’ game against the Toronto Maple Leafs at the Verizon Center.

Here’s the release from the team and building officials:

As a result of yesterday’s events in Boston and after consulting with local law enforcement officials, Verizon Center security will be enhanced for upcoming events. We regularly consult with the Metropolitan Police Department, FBI, Joint Terrorism Task Force and the Department of Homeland Security, and our standard policy of bag searches and security wanding will continue at the entrances. We also will institute measures that will be readily visible to the public as well as some that are not, but all will add to the safety and security of our patrons. The safety of our fans and guests always has been and will continue to be our top priority.

The Post’s Katie Carrera has the full story.

Paying respects at home of 8-year-old victim

(Michael Dwyer / AP)

Neighbors and mourners congregated outside the Dorchester, Mass., home of Martin Richard, the 8-year-old who was killed in the marathon blasts.

(Brian Snyder / Reuters)

A neighbor, Christina Keefe, told The Post’s Carol Leonnig that her her family is friendly with the Richard family, who lives near them in the Ashmont section of Dorchester.

“He was so polite, composed, older than his years really,” Christina Keefe said of Martin on Tuesday morning. “I can see him now, holding his mom’s arm as she took them on their walks around the neighborhood.”

(Michael Dwyer / AP)

D.C. Mayor Gray: ‘We are a resilient nation’

D.C. Mayor Vincent Gray (D) said Tuesday here was no thought of canceling the District’s Emancipation Day parade because of what happened in Boston.

“We are a resilient city,” Gray said. “We are a resilient nation.” Turning to people in viewing stands at end of parade route on Pennsylvania Avenue, he said, “What happened in Boston is a tragedy.”  But he added, “It’s not going to run us off. If anything it makes us more resilient.”

— Peter Hermann

AP: Explosives placed in pressure cookers

The Associated Press is reporting that the explosives at the Boston Marathon were in pressure cookers placed in black duffel bags.

From the AP report:

The person says the explosives were placed on the ground and contained shards of metal, nails and ball bearings. The person spoke on the condition of anonymity because the investigation was ongoing.

Personal view: GW student writes of terror, resolve

Two of yesterday’s marathon participants hugTuesday at the barricaded entrance to Boylston Street. (Shannon Stapleton / Reuters)

Elizabeth Traynor, a George Washington University student from Boston, writes about her day Monday:

Yesterday, my mother ran her first marathon. For as long as I can remember, my mom’s wanted to cross a finish line after 26.2 miles. This year she was determined to do it.

Mom threw herself into training. She lost toenails. She got sweaty. My brother would drive behind her as a pace car, popping up throughout 20-mile runs with water and support. She ran for The Home Base Program, a Boston-area charity that raises money for troops that return home with PTSD or traumatic brain injuries.

I know that yesterday was a beautiful day for a marathon. Sunny and crisp, it was the sort of perfect day when Boston is at its best. That city has my heart: always has, always will. And it was beautiful on Monday.

I know that I was grumpy because I couldn’t get home to celebrate at the finish line with my family. I felt like a bad daughter, and I was upset that I wouldn’t see my mom rejoice in her personal victory.

I know that around 3 p.m. yesterday, my phone rang. My first thought was that Mom really powered through the last .2 miles. My second was that she was hurt.

It was my brother; he was frantically telling me that he and my dad were okay. There had been a bomb, but they were fine, and he had to go. I hung up the phone and turned on my television, descending quickly into uncontrollable, panicked sobs.

I know that my family is okay.

I now know that my brother and my father were just feet away from the bombs and were separated by the blast. I know that my father ran back into the crowd to find my brother. I know that my 18-year old younger sibling saw people and he saw parts of people. And I know that as he was frantically trying to find my father, he stopped, bent down, and helped to safety a woman who was being trampled by the panicked crowd.

I know that my mother was just shy of finishing. At first, she wasn’t sure why the runners were stopping. When she realized that something was very, very wrong, she started asking for a cellphone. A stranger handed hers over. Though she couldn’t get a call to go through, my mom started sending texts, informing us that she was okay.

I know that a local Starbucks gave my mom a free coffee to keep her warm. And I know that my family eventually reunited and got home safely. I know that there was debris on my father’s jacket last night.

I know that my mother, who has spent most of her career working for Massachusetts General Hospital, probably fought an impulse to walk away from running the marathon and start helping. I know she likely has friends who saw unspeakable horror in the trauma and emergency rooms.

I don’t know what it was like to be there. But I do know that for an hour of my life yesterday, I was panicked and helpless in D.C., and then spent the rest of the day reaching out to friends and family to share that my mother, father and brother were safe.

I know that I was glued to the news coverage, unsure of where my family was in the city, and terrified that another explosion would be reported.

I know that someone stopped to hug me on a District street simply because I was wearing a Red Sox cap.

I know that I feel the need to implore anyone that can – that has the means – to help. To donate to the official relief funds and the hospitals caring for the victims and the charities that will be of assistance.

There is a lot that we don’t know. Like why, and how.

But I know that this city is strong. It’s beautiful and it is stubborn. We Bostonians may have woken up to a changed reality, but we’re just as proud and scrappy and tightly knit as we were yesterday.

Believe in Boston. Because it’s not going anywhere.

Elizabeth Traynor, 21, is a proud Shrewsbury, Mass. native and a senior at The George Washington University. She loves all things Boston, especially the Bruins, and is the sports editor for The GW Hatchet.

Photo: Sports Illustrated cover

Here’s the cover of the next issue of Sports Illustrated. 

(Photo via BuzzFeed)

Luggage inspection caused Logan Airport issue

A Boston-bound plane was turned away from the arrival gate at Boston’s Logan International Airport as aviation security was heightened in the aftermath of Monday’s bombings.

Transportation Security Administration officials raised concerns about a piece of luggage that had been screened and placed aboard the US Airways flight.

The report that a wire might have been dangling from it came after the plane was airborne for Boston. When it arrived at Logan it was directed to taxi to a remote area of the airport.

The luggage was removed, and then the plane was allowed to proceed to its designated gate. The luggage was inspected and determined to pose no risk.

— Ashley Halsey III

Watch: President Obama on ‘act of terror’

Here’s video of President Obama’s remarks from Tuesday morning on the Boston Marathon bombing, which he called an “act of terror.”

Nails, shrapnel and pellets found in victims

A doctor at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston said multiple victims treated there had nails, shrapnel and pellets blown into their skin.

Dr. Ron Walls, chairman of emergency medicine at the hospital, said these objects were “clearly designed to be projectiles,” according to my colleague Mary Beth Sheridan.

“The patients were really stoic, to the point of being heroic,” Walls said.

Michael Zinner, chief of surgery at the hospital, compared the bomb to an improvised explosive device.

“Almost all the injuries are in the lower extremities,” Zinner said. “Think of this like an IED.”

The hospital treated 31 patients, one of whom had to have his leg amputated below the knee, according to Sheridan. Fifteen of the 31 patients were admitted, and five of them are in critical condition. Two of them have “threatened limbs,” Walls said.

Meanwhile, at Brigham and Women’s Faulkner Hospital, the facility’s sister hospital, 13 additional patients were being treated. One was in critical condition.

NFL to review security for draft next week

Security has been increased in New York City. (John Moore / Getty Images)

The NFL will review security procedures with the NFL Draft scheduled for April 25 at Radio City Music Hall in New York.

“The NFL and its clubs have operated with a very high level of security since 9/11 for all of our games and events,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement sent to “For next week’s NFL Draft, we will review and enhance our already comprehensive security plans with the NYPD, Radio City and our private security partners. We will advise the public more specifically next week prior to the draft.”

Via CBS Sports’ Mike Freeman

Obama speaks on ‘act of terror’

President Obama spoke at the White House shortly after 11:30 a.m., saying that the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing will take time.

“This was a heinous and cowardly act,” he said.

In the wake of the attack, he noted, stories emerged of kindness, heroism and love. He praised those who ran to help others.

“The American people refuse to be terrorized,” he said.

Obama also said that this is “an act of terror,” but noted that authorities still don’t know “who carried out this attack or why.” And he said it remains unclear if it was one person, an organization or anything else.

“Anything else at this point is speculation,” he said. But as more information emerges, authorities will inform the public, he said.

But it’s important that people alert authorities when they see something suspicious, he noted.

Watch: President Obama speaks about bombing

Watch it here:

Report: Logan Airport given all-clear

Logan Airport also has been given the all-clear, according to WCVB (via Anthony De Rosa of Reuters). We’re working on getting official confirmation and will update when we have it.

Congressional leaders address bombings

Eric Cantor and John Boehner offer an update. (Jacquelyn Martin / AP)

Congressional leaders used their regularly-scheduled Tuesday morning appearances to once again convey thoughts on the Boston bombings and ongoing investigation.

House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) said that he feels federal and local law enforcement officials have enough tools to combat the sort of attacks as Monday’s in Boston, including a thorough investigation.

“Our law enforcement officials, both at the federal level and the local level, are gonna have all the resources they need, and the technology and tools they need,” Boehner told reporters Tuesday morning.

Asked if Congress needed to act in any way to provide more aid, Boehner said no. “I don’t think so,” he said.

After speaking with Obama Monday evening, the Speaker expressed frustration  that there was little information about who carried out the attack, echoing others who could not describe it as a domestic or foreign perpetrator. “It was a terrorist attack of some sort. Until we know who or why, I don’t think we can further define it. There’s just not enough information,” he said.

Speaking at the same press conference, House Majority Leader Eric I. Cantor (R-Va.) said Congress would stand with law enforcement with “a determined sense to hold those accountable that perpetrated this attack”.

“The Boston Marathon really is all that is good about America. It stands for strength and perseverance,” Cantor said.

At almost the same time on the Senate floor, Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said the country is still “reeling from the senseless violence” in Boston, but said “we are united in sympathy for the victims of this senseless attack and the families who are suffering today.”

Reid said that the FBI and other federal agencies “are investigating this attack as aggressively as possible. As the president said last night, rest assured that the perpetrators will feel the full weight of justice for this terrible crime.”

In extended comments on the Senate floor, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) focused on specific examples of personal injury and tragedy and concerns that the nation has grown complacent after more than a decade without a serious terrorist attack.

“Many who were looking forward to celebrating the achievement of a loved one yesterday woke up to the grim reality of facing the rest of their lives with a disfiguring injury,” he said on the Senate floor. “For them, yesterday’s attacks were the beginning of a long and difficult journey. Three others who lined up to encourage others, including an 8-year old boy who was there to cheer on his dad at the finish line, lost their lives in the blast. We pray in a special way for these families.”

As for complacency, McConnell noted that the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks disabused Americans of the notion that violent, dramatic terrorist attacks only occur on battlefields or in other countries.

“With the passage of time, however, and the vigilant efforts of our military, intelligence and law enforcement professionals, I think it’s safe to say that, for many, the complacency that prevailed prior to September 11th has returned,” McConnell said. “And so we are newly reminded that serious threats to our way of life remain. And today, again, we recommit ourselves to the fight against terrorism at home, and abroad.”

— Ed O’Keefe and Paul Kane

LaGuardia terminal cleared, travelers allowed back in

WNBC and Bloomberg News are both reporting that LaGuardia Airport has given the all-clear and that passengers are being allowed back in the terminal.

[News via, via]

Carlos Arredondo: ‘I did my duty.’

The Post’s David Fahrenthold profiles Carlos Arredondo who was among the bystanders in Boston to quickly go into first-responder mode and aid those who were injured:

Arredondo has become one of the better known among this group, appearing in news photos in a distinctive cowboy hat. On Tuesday morning, as his wife fielded calls from Katie Couric and Boston police detectives, Arredondo said he had acted out of instinct, using training he had received as a fireman and a rescuer of injured bullfighters in Costa Rica.

“I did my duty,” he said.

On Monday, Arredondo said, he was quickly joined at the injured man’s side by another bystander. Maybe a doctor, Arredondo doesn’t know. The stranger asked for tourniquets. Arredondo tore strips out of a sweater he found lying on the ground.

As the other man tied the tourniquets on the injured man’s thighs, Arredondo talked to the victim, and tried to block his view of his own legs. “The ambulance is here,” he repeated.


Read Fahrenthold’s full report here.

Photos from LaGuardia terminal evacuation

LaGuardia Airport’s Central Terminal has been evacuated due to a suspicious package.

As you might imagine, this is leading to major crowding outside the terminal:

(Photo via)

(Photo via)

Report: Baggage on US Airways plane being checked

The US Airways plane being investigated at Logan Airport arrived there from Philadelphia this morning. An editor for CBS in Boston reports that the plane contained a piece of luggage that was not checked in Philadelphia and that they want to check again.

Take note: The Fox affiliate in Boston was reporting that the plane in question was brought back to the gate because two men on it were speaking Arabic. The station also reported that the plane was an American Airlines flight bound for Chicago. The flight was actually US Airways flight 1716 from Philadelphia, so take that report with many, many grains of salt.

Two brothers each lost a leg

(Spencer Platt / Getty Images)

Gail Evangelista heard her neighbor Elizabeth Norden “hollering” for help shortly after 3 p.m. Monday. Norden had just gotten off the phone with an ambulance driver who told her that one of her adult sons was injured in the crowd at the Boston Marathon and was on the way to a hospital.

Norden’s 31-year-old son told his mother he had been “hurt real bad,” his legs seriously burned, according to the Boston Globe. What about his brother?

Norden was desperately trying to reach her other son’s cell phone, with her cell phone, but circuits were busy. She knew the men were probably standing together in the crowd, watching a friend run.

She asked to use Evangelista’s land line.

“She was so nervous I was trying to dial numbers for her,” Evangelista said. But the calls wouldn’t go through.

Norden would soon learn that both her sons would have to have their legs amputated, according to published reports. The names of the brothers, who are 31 and 33, were not immediately available from authorities. Evangelista said she did not know their names either. She said one son lived on an upper floor of the house with his mother, while the other lived in another town.

The Boston Globe also reported that the younger son’s girlfriend had “suffered serious burns and other injuries and was hospitalized.” The newspaper said that Norden’s sons “were apparently standing next to the 8-year-old boy who died in the blast.”

Evangelista said Boston would not allow the attackers to change the city into a fearful place. “I was sad yesterday,” Evangelista said Tuesday. “Now I’m mad. Whoever did it, they’re cowards.”

Situations at Boston, New York airports

There are two situations unfolding at airports in the Northeast, one at Logan Airport in Boston and the other at LaGuardia Airport in New York.

At Logan, a US Airways flight on the tarmac has been evacuated. (You can see live footage here.) It’s unclear why the plane was evacuated, but initial reports suggest there is a security issue.

A man who says he was on the flight says that the plane was taken to the gate and that everything seemed normal before they landed:

NowThisNews tweeted the following photo:

Meanwhile, at LaGuardia Airport, Bloomberg News is reporting that the central terminal building has been evacuated due to a suspicious package.

Ex-congresswoman: ‘Never been so close to death’

Former U.S. Rep. Jean Schmidt had just finished one of her best marathons ever. Then the bombs went off.

“I’ve never been so close to death or witnessed it,” the Ohio Republican told the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Concerned while trying to track down a missing relative, Schmidt was helped by many. Passersby offered her a banana, a bagel, a blanket as she shivered, and even use of a bathroom in a nearby apartment.

“The kindness of strangers … is absolutely overwhelming,” she told the newspaper.

Former U.S. Rep. Jean Schmidt, R-Ohio, is safe after the Marathon explosions occurred just after she finished. She is in the back row, center of this 2011 photo, with Rep. Michele Bachmann to her right (Scott J. Ferrell/CQ-Roll Call Group) Former U.S. Rep. Jean Schmidt, R-Ohio, is safe after the Marathon explosions occurred just after she finished. She is in the back row, center of this 2011 photo, with Rep. Michele Bachmann to her right (Scott J. Ferrell/CQ-Roll Call Group)

Flags on federal property to be at half-staff

Flags next to the John Hancock building in Boston are at half-staff. (Brian Snyder / Reuters)

President Obama has ordered flags at all federal sites lowered to half-staff until April 20.

(Michael Reynolds / AP)

Here’s his proclamation:

As a mark of respect for the victims of the senseless acts of violence perpetrated on April 15, 2013, in Boston, Massachusetts, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, April 20, 2013. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
sixteenth day of April, in the year of our Lord two thousand thirteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-seventh.

Barack Obama

Via The Post’s Ed O’Keefe

President Obama updated overnight

President Obama received overnight updates on the Boston bombing from Lisa Monaco, the assistant for Homeland Security and Counterrorism, a White House official told my colleague Zachary A. Goldfarb.

Obama made it clear during these updates that he expects to be kept up to date on any developments, the official said, and told his team that all federal resources should be used to support the investigation.

Conspiracy theory domain taken off the market

In the wake of events like the Boston Marathon bombing, conspiracy theories often trundle into being and live on in the dark, dank corners of the Internet.

But one industrious person, looking to keep a Google-friendly URL from clogging search results, took off the market. The message you see above is what appears when you visit the site.


Rep. King urges patience

Rep. Peter King (R-N.Y.), a senior member of the House Intelligence Committee and former chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, said the federal officials he’s spoken with still don’t know who caused the explosions and are chasing several leads.
Referring to a man of Saudi descent being held by law enforcement officials as a person of interest, King said “They don’t know how significant that Saudi is, and they really have not – as far as I know – come up with anything new.”
“I would say that the combination of the explosive devices, even the ones that didn’t detonate, often you can find a signature from that or where the components were purchased and all the video cameras have to yield something,” King said.
Asked about the lack of motive or suspects thus far, King urged patience.
“We’ve not had a successful attack in 11 ½ years, but often with crimes, it can take weeks or months who did this,” he said. “Back in the 1950s, we had a mad bomber who went around for 10 years before we found him. But I expect this one to move more quickly.
“In some ways this is a needle in a haystack. But with the amount of the coverage that they have and the amount of surveillance, it should be a lot quicker. This is really part of investigative work, if you don’t have a certain person, you have to go through everything. Less than 24 hours is not a lot. They feel that there’s enough to work with,” King said.
King said he feels it is appropriate for the House and Senate to temper public events and press conferences Tuesday out of respect for the victims of the Boston bombings.
“I think it’s customary for pause for a day, but then get back to work as quickly as possible,” he said.

Mass. General Hospital: 31 injured, four amputations

A doctor from Massachusetts General Hospital, speaking to the media a short time ago, said that patients at that hospital were between 28 and 71 years old.

He said the hospital treated 31 injured people. There were four separate patients who needed amputations at the hospital, and two other whose limbs are still at risk.

People are being treated for a “variety of sharp objects,” he said. Metallic objects were found in bodies.

The first patients could be released in a few days, but it’s too early to know for sure, he said.

Victims had such severe trauma that the hospital amputations “just completed what the bomb had done,” he said.

No more law enforcement briefings scheduled

Law enforcement officials are not planning any additional press briefings today, Holly Bailey reports. If that changes and if any other briefings occur, we will cover them here.

London Marathon moving forward as planned

The Boston Marathon is the second of six events that comprise the World Marathon Majors. After the events Monday, organizers were looking into security measures and timing around the next leg of the series in London. And Tuesday morning they announced on the event’s Facebook page that it would proceed as planned:

The 2013 Virgin London Marathon, registration and associated events will go ahead as originally scheduled.

We have reviewed and will continue to review our security arrangements with the Metropolitan Police and other authorities.

We are being fully supported in all aspects of the event to safeguard our runners, spectators, volunteers and everyone connected with the event.

There also is a smaller marathon in Hamburg, Germany on Sunday, but there are no announcements of a cancellation on the event’s Web site.

Police: No one is in custody

Ed Davis, the Boston police commissioner, just said at the news conference that no one is in custody at this time.

Boston police: 176 injured, 17 critical

Ed Davis, the Boston police chief, just offered an update on the injury count from Monday’s bombing: 176 people were injured, 17 of them critically.

Investigators ask for video, audio, still photos

Standing guard at Brigham and Women’s Hospital on Monday. (Stan Honda / AFP Getty Images)

Authorities investigating the explosions at the Boston Marathon have asked for any private video, audio or still images from the scene Monday.

They’ve asked that people use 1-800-CALL-FBI or the FBI’s website.

They were also at Logan Airport this morning asking runners who were heading home for any images or video.

Ed Davis, the Boston police chief, called the spots where the explosions occurred “probably one of the most photographed areas in the country yesterday.”

Patriots’ Amendola kicks off donation effort

A new member of the New England Patriots has jumped out the gate with an offer to contribute to a fund that had not yet been designated to help victims of the Boston Marathon bombings.

“I will DONATE $100 for EVERY pass I catch” to a Boston Marathon relief fund, wide receiver Danny Amendola tweeted.

Then came the twist.

“And $200 for every dropped pass.”

FBI: No comment on if anyone is in custody

Rick DesLauriers, the FBI special agent in charge, did not comment on whether anyone is currently in custody.

‘An act of cowardice’

“What occurred yesterday in Boston was an act of cowardice,” said Dan Conley, the district attorney for Suffolk County.

Conley said that law enforcement officials will work hard to keep the public informed, but also stressed that there was much work left for investigators.

“In the past 24 hours, this city of Boston has shown its strength, its compassion and its determination to see justice done,” he said.

‘The most complex crime scene’ in the history of Boston

Ed Davis, Boston police commissioner, called the marathon bombing “the most complex crime scene” in the history of the department.

The area around the crime scene has been reduced from 15 blocks to 12 blocks, and officials will continue to reduce that as the investigation continues, he said.

ATF: Two explosive devices found

Gene Marquez, a special agent from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, dispelled rumors that there were seven explosive devices found.

“We only have two devices that we are aware of,” he said.

Marquez said that witnesses should send in any video they have to aid the investigation.

FBI: ‘No known additional threats’

The FBI agent leading the investigation into the Boston Marathon bombing said Tuesday morning that there were “no known additional threats,” but that investigation was ongoing.

“Our mission is clear–to bring to justice those responsible for the Boston Marathon bombing,” Rick DesLauriers, the FBI special agent in charge, said at a news conference. “T.”

DesLauriers said that law enforcement officers have received “voluminous tips” in the hours since the bombing. He said the public’s help remains key as officials investigate the bombing.

Sen. Warren: ‘We want to extend our thanks’

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D), speaking at a Tuesday morning news conference, said that President Obama “is actively involved” in monitoring the situation in Boston.

“We want to extend our thanks to the first responders, to the firefighters and police officers…to everyone,” she said. “We also want to thank those from all around the country and all around the world, whose prayers and thoughts and offers of help have poured in. We are deeply grateful.”

Gov. Patrick: ‘Two and only two explosive devices’

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick stressed Tuesday morning that “two and only two explosive devices” were found  Monday.

Patrick, speaking at a news conference shortly after 9:30 a.m., said that more than 150 people were injured in the explosion.

Boston news conference

Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick (D) and other officials are about to have a press conference in Boston.

Meet Bill Iffrig, the runner everyone saw fall

Bill Iffrig was knocked to the pavement by the first blast. (John Tlumacki / Boston Globe via Associated Press)

A 78-year-old Washington state man who had run in 45 marathons found that he had become the face of the marathon bombing Monday night.

Bill Iffrig of Lake Stevens, Wash., is the man who was shown in an iconic photo and on video loops hitting the ground as the first explosion occurred.

“It was only … feet away from me,” he said. “It was really loud.”

Iffrig was running his third Boston Marathon and he slowly got up and … finished the race.

“I could see the finishing line and I was about 15 feet when this horrendous explosion occurred,” Iffrig told ABC News on Monday night. “My whole body was just crumpling. I thought this was going to be it. I thought this was my last trip. I had no idea what was going on.”

Iffrig, a retired masonry worker, said he had only a scraped knee.

“I didn’t think about any possibility of another bomb going off by the finish line,” he said. “And then after I was up and walking over there the other bomb went off. It was loud, I mean really loud. When I got back here, I could hardly hear anything.”

Iffrig had help crossing the finish line in an official time in 4 hours, 3 minutes, 47 seconds. “After you’ve run 26 miles you’re not going to stop there.”

Boston Globe: Residents remember Martin Richard

The Boston Globe and the Associated Press have both identified the eight-year-old killed in the attack as Martin Richard of Dorchester.

From the Globe:

The grief resonated sharply in Dorchester, where residents gathered Monday night at Tavolo Restaurant in memory of 8-year-old Martin Richard, who was killed in the attack, and his mother and sister, who suffered grievous injuries. Martin’s father, Bill, is a community leader in the Ashmont section of Dorchester. A third child was reportedly uninjured.

“They are beloved by this community,” said City Councilor at Large Ayanna Pressley, who was among the mourners. “They contribute in many ways. That’s why you see this outpouring. It’s surreal, it’s tragic’’

Pennsylvania Avenue remains closed

Pennsylvania Avenue remains closed in front of the White House. Tourists stood in Lafayette Park, taking photos from afar, rather than gathering on the sidewalk and posing for photos in front of the building itself.

(Photo by Mark Berman)

5 big questions from Boston bombings

Tuesday should see movement on some of the big questions following Monday’s deadly explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon:

Who did it? – White House officials and investigators cautioned that it was too soon to link the attack to any particular kind of perpetrator, domestic or foreign. But investigators are collecting forensic evidence from the explosives, have gathered material overnight from an apartment complex north of Boston and are collecting photographs and videos from those near the scene.

What were the devices? – Early indications were that they were a type of improvised explosive device, possibly detonated by remote control. Some reports say the explosives were dropped into trash containers, concealed in backpacks.. We should get more detail throughout the day.

What kind of planning was required? – How difficult was this to carry out? How many people were needed? How long was this in the works?

Why? – Without a claim of responsibility or quick arrests, the motivation is hard to determine. It occurred on Tax Day and the state’s Patriots Day, a celebration of American citizens’ revolt from colonial Britain over several issues, including taxation without representation. It also occurred near anniversaries of Israeli statehood, the Virginia Tech massacre and the fiery Waco standoff of a fringe group against federal agents. It also was a big anniversary in North Korea, what would have been the 101st birthday of founder Kim Il Sung. That said, the bombings could be related to none of these things.

What are the implications? – Will we be a more closed society, at least short term? The Celtics canceled one of their final games of the season Tuesday night in Boston. Increased warnings are being broadcast and heightened police presence will be felt far from Boston, too, including New York and Washington. Questions have arisen about broader restraints on mass events, but others are proceeding as scheduled, such as Tuesday’s Emancipation Parade in Washington. As Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick has said, Boston is open Tuesday — but it won’t be normal for a long time. Much of America won’t be, either.


Former Patriots player helped at finish line

Former New England Patriots offensive lineman Joe Andruzzi was at the finish line when the explosions occurred Monday.

A 10-year veteran who retired from the NFL in 2006, Andruzzi was on the scene because his charitable foundation, which provides financial assistance for cancer victims, had participants in the race.


Andruzzi, whose three brothers are firefighters who were first responders at the World Trade Center on Sept. 11, 2001, released a statement Monday night after a photo of him carrying a woman was widely circulated:

“Marathon Monday should be about uplifting stories, personal challenges and fundraising milestones, but today’s bombings irrevocably changed that. While I appreciate the interest in hearing our perspective on today’s horrific events, the spotlight should remain firmly on the countless individuals — first responders, medics, EMTs, runners who crossed the finish line and kept on running straight to give blood, and the countless civilians who did whatever they could to save lives. They were the true heroes. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those affected by this senseless tragedy.”

Number of injured stands at 152, CNN reports

Bags containing runners’ belongings are unclaimed. (Justin Lane / EPA)

A survey of Boston-area hospitals this morning reveals that 152 people were injured in the explosions at the Boston Marathon, CNN reports.

Seventeen are listed in critical condition; 41 are described as being in serious condition.

Vivek Shah, an orthopedic surgeon at New England Baptist Hospital, had just crossed the finish line when the explosions occurred and quickly began triage work.

“I’ve never obviously been in combat, but people I’ve trained with people who have been and this is as close as I can imagine it would be,” Shah told ABC News Radio. “Just, basically piles of victims. Everything I saw was a traumatic amputation, basically. … In all my medical training, I have not seen things that I saw [Monday]. Everything was traumatic.”


Celtics game at TD Garden canceled

The San Antonio Spurs observed a moment of silence before their game Monday night. (Marcio Jose Sanchez / AP)

The NBA followed the NHL’s lead and canceled the game set for tonight at TD Garden in Boston.

The Celtics had been scheduled to play the Indiana Pacers as the team’s next-to-last regular-season game. Both teams have qualified for the playoffs and the game would have had no bearing on playoff seeding, so it will not be rescheduled.

Emerson students return to campus, classes canceled

The Emerson campus is just blocks from the finish line. (Spencer Platt / Getty Images)

Seven Emerson College students who were injured in the bombing have returned to campus, which is just a short walk from the finish line.

In a note on the school’s website, President Lee Pelton wrote that classes would be canceled today “to provide a day of healing and reflection” for the school’s 3,400 students and staff.

Ben Revere’s message: ‘Pray for Boston’

Ben Revere’s message. (Andy Lyons / Getty Images)

Philadelphia Phillies center fielder Ben Revere made an amazing catch Monday night in a game against the Cincinnati Reds and he did it with a glove marked “Pray for Boston.”

“I think everyone was thinking about it,” Revere said of the Boston Marathon tragedy. “It hurts to see something like that happen.”


Police seek runners’ photos at Logan Airport

Investigators comb through the debris. (Elise Amendola / AP)

Because the Boston Marathon is a uniquely American as well as an important global race, it attracts runners from around the world.

This morning, many were trying to get home and, as they arrived at Boston’s Logan Airport, they entered security lines, and police, the New York Times’ Nicholas Kristof tweets, were asking for their marathon photos as the meticulous forensic work gets underway.

Mourning in Boston

A runner — and Boston — greet the day after the marathon bombing. (Charles Krupa / Getty Images)

Morning brought an eerie, uneasy silence to the scene of the explosions that rocked the Boston Marathon on Monday afternoon. Police and members of the National Guard have cordoned off the Boylston Street area that was the finish line of the 117th marathon, now a crime scene.

There are a number of hotels in the area, with thousands of runners coming into town to participate in one of the crown jewels of distance running.

“My Copley Plaza hotel by [the] marathon finish is in [the] closed zone,” Nicholas Kristof of the New York Times tweeted, “and guarded by guys in combat gear. It struggled last night w/out staff.”