Updated with Franchitti injuries
Dario Franchitti was involved in a scary crash when his Indy car flew through the air and into a catchfence, with debris from his wrecked car injuring 13 spectators at the Grand Prix of Houston.
Franchitti remained in his car after the last-lap wreck, which also involved E.J. Viso and Takuma Sato. He was placed on a stretcher and taken by ambulance to Memorial Hermann Texas Medical Center. Viso and Sato walked away from the crash.
— Nick Mathews (@Nick_Mathews) October 6, 2013
“He’s talking. His ankle is a little sore,” Chip Ganassi, owner of Franchitti’s race team, said (via USA Today). “His back is a little sore. He’s going to take a trip to the hospital, but he is okay.”
The three-time Indy 500 winner suffered a broken ankle and two broken vertebrae, as well as a concussion.
Two of the injured fans were sent to local hospitals and the rest were treated at the scene, Senior Capt. Ruy Lozano of the Houston Fire Department told the Houston Chronicle.
The wreck draws renewed attention to catchfench technology, which has been an issue since the death of Dan Wheldon nearly two years ago.
Thank gosh @dariofranchitti is okay, couldn't cope if something was to happen to another close friend! Thanks everyone for the updates.
— Holly Wheldon (@hollywheldon) October 6, 2013
Earlier this year, 28 fans were injured by flying debris during a Nationwide race at Daytona when Kyle Larson crashed into a catchfence. Afterward, Franchitti tweeted, “it’s time @indycar @nascar other sanctioning bodies & promoters work on an alternative to catch fencing. There has to be a better solution.”
— Circa (@Circa) October 6, 2013