Jonathan Martin likely done with Miami Dolphins, report says

(Michael Dwyer / AP) (Michael Dwyer / AP)

Jonathan Martin most likely will not play football again this season and is finished with the Miami Dolphins but hopes to resume his NFL career, ESPN’s Lisa Salters reports.

Martin is expected to explain soon, perhaps this week, what prompted him to leave the Miami Dolphins two weeks ago, Fox Sports’ Mike Garafolo reports. The offensive lineman is likely to release a video statement but is not expected to try to rebut Richie Incognito, the Dolphins teammate who has been suspended for conduct detrimental to the team because of alleged harassment of Martin, point for point. Incognito told his side of the story in an interview with Fox’s Jay Glazer on Sunday.

Last week, one of Martin’s former teammates at Stanford confirmed that Martin had told him he isn’t done with football. “For anybody to think that he’s walking away from the game that he loves is inaccurate,” Indianapolis Colts tight end Coby Fleener said (via Phillip B. Wilson).

Dolphins owner Stephen Ross texted Martin, who is expected to speak with NFL investigator Ted Wells this week, a message of support last week, ESPN reported.

On Sunday, Incognito told Glazer that he and Martin were close and produced 1,141 text messages that purport to back up his statement that they were friends. At issue are profanity-laced texts and voice mails that contain threats and racial slurs. Incognito contends that that was the nature of their friendship and the culture of the locker room.

“I’m not a racist, and to judge me by that one word is wrong,” Incognito told Glazer. “In no way, shape or form is it ever acceptable for me to use that word, even if it’s friend-to-friend on a voice mail. … [The N-word is] thrown around a lot. It’s a word that I’ve heard Jon use a lot. It’s not saying it’s right that I did it and used it in a voice mail. But it’s a lot of colorful words that are being thrown around in a locker room that we don’t use in everyday life.”

Martin, Salters reports, remains with his family in California and is receiving treatment.

After spending most of her career in traditional print sports journalism, Cindy began blogging and tweeting, first as NFL/Redskins editor, and, since August 2010, at The Early Lead. She also is the social media editor for Sports.

sports

early-lead

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Next Story
Cindy Boren · November 11, 2013

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.