The NFL draft is fiiiiiiinally here, which is tremendous news for those of you who simply can’t stand any more mock drafts. In a related development, here is a piece of pre-draft analysis that many of you should want to read if only because it is definitely not a mock draft.
Just how non-mock-drafty is this? Well, it a) does not proceed in the draft order, b) does not even include all the teams, and c) lists positions that some teams should NOT draft.
Hey, the draft is more or less a crapshoot, so there’s no point getting predictive. All we can do is go back in time, and see if certain teams should just stay away tonight from certain positions altogether (based on little or no luck picking that position in the first round over the past 20 years.)
With no further ado, here are the positions recent history says certain teams should avoid until at least the second round:
- Team: Ravens. Should stay away from: Wide receiver.
Why: Mark Clayton (22, 2005), Travis Taylor (10, 2000).
- Team: Browns. Should stay away from: Quarterback.
Why: Brandon Weeden (22, 2012), Brady Quinn (22, 2007), Tim Couch (1, 1999).
- Team: Bills. Should stay away from: Defensive end.
Why: Aaron Maybin (11, 2009), Erik Flowers (26, 2000).
- Team: Bears. Should stay away from: Quarterback.
Why: Rex Grossman (22, 2003), Cade McNown (12, 1999).
Should also stay away from: Running back.
Why: Cedric Benson (4, 2005), Curtis Enis (5, 1998), Rashaan Salaam (21, 1995).
- Team: Bengals. Should stay away from: Running back.
Why: Chris Perry (26, 2004), Ki-Jana Carter (1, 1995).
- Team: Texans. Should stay away from: Defensive tackle.
Why: Amobi Okoye (10, 2007), Travis Johnson (16, 2005).
- Team: Dolphins. Should stay away from: Wide receiver.
Why: Ted Ginn Jr. (9, 2007), Yatil Green (15, 1997)
- Team: Jaguars. Should really stay away from: Wide receiver.
Why: Justin Blackmon (5, 2012), Matt Jones (21, 2005), Reggie Williams (9, 2004), R. Jay Soward (29, 2000).
- Team: Giants. Should stay away from: Running back.
Why: David Wilson (32, 2012), Ron Dayne (11, 2000), Tyrone Wheatley (17, 1995).
- Team: Eagles. Should stay away from: Defensive end.
Why: Brandon Graham (13, 2010), Jerome McDougle (15, 2003), Jon Harris (25, 2007), Mike Mamula (7, 1995)
- Team: Buccaneers. Should stay away from: Quarterback.
Why: Josh Freeman (17, 2009), Trent Dilfer (6, 1994).
- Team: Titans. Should stay away from: Cornerback.
Why: Adam “Pacman” Jones (6, 2005), Andre Woolfolk (28, 2003).
Well, we hope that was enlightening and/or entertaining and/or time-passing. Plus, it provided absolutely zero predictions about tonight’s NFL draft!