Golfers don’t usually show their caddies this kind of love. (David J. Phillip / AP)

The moment of truth for many couples arrives when the wedding invitations go out, a tangible sign that this marriage thing is about to go down.

For Rory McIlroy, that’s when he decided to break off his engagement to Caroline Wozniacki.

“The problem is mine,” McIlroy said in a statement issued by his management company (via the BBC). “The wedding invitations issued at the weekend made me realize that I wasn’t ready for all that marriage entails.”

The 25-year-old golfer and the 23-year-old tennis player had been dating for over two years and became engaged on New Year’s Eve, just a couple of months after reports swirled that they’d broken up. Both have busy schedules coming up, with McIlroy in the BMW PGA Championship this week in England and Wozniacki in the French Open next week, and that means lots of media interviews. McIlroy faced the interrogations first on Wednesday morning and was clearly emotional, battling back tears.

“It is quite a difficult time for Caroline and myself, and the statement really said it all this morning,” McIlroy said (via ESPN). “It was mutual and we both thought it was the best for us, the best for both of us. Time to move on, and I’ve said all that I need to say.”


McIlroy faces the media Wednesday at the Wentworth Club in Surrey. (Adam Davy / AP)

In his statement, he said: “There is no right way to end a relationship that has been so important to two people. I wish Caroline all the happiness she deserves and thank her for the great times we have had.”

It won’t be easy to return to golf, but it at least offers a routine.

“I’m not going to lie. It’s going to be very difficult,” McIlroy said in his press conference. “But you know, at least when I get inside the ropes, just try and concentrate on the shot at hand. But, yeah, it’s obviously going to be difficult.”

The couple’s recent tweets gave no hint of what was to come.