This year’s Belmont Stakes on June 7 could see history made. California Chrome, the unstoppable horse with the controversial nasal strips already took home the prizes at both the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness. Now the unequaled equine is looking to be the first Triple Crown winner since 1978.
And sure, you can bet on that easily enough. Most analysts have slotted the horse as their favorite with odds ranging from 4/5 to 1/1, depending on who you ask.
But that’s not all you can bet on when it comes to the horse that’s been called a “gift from God.” Analysts at the sports betting information site SportsBettingDime.com unveiled in a news release their odds for betting on California Chrome not finishing the race. Some scenarios are awful; all are absurd:
- Nasal strip falls off and hits jockey in the face causing disruption in concentration: 200-1
- Breaks a leg: 150-1
- Knocks jockey onto the ground: 75-1
- Jumps over the railing onto the infield: 250-1
- Another horse bumps him off track: 250-1
- Trips on another horse: 50-1
- Goes the wrong way: 200-1
- Jockey gets dirt in his eyes and pulls up on reigns: 100-1
- Horse’s bridle falls off: 250-1
- Flash bulb in the eye during the race startles the horse: 150-1
You can’t make the bets through the site itself, but a spokesperson for the company assured that these odds are real and bets can actually be made. What would you place your odds on? The odds for none of the above are 1/1.