Updated with Marino’s statement
Dan Marino is withdrawing from a lawsuit over concussions that was filed against the NFL.
The Miami Dolphins’ Hall of Fame quarterback and his lawyers are looking into how his name was joined to the lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia. Marino, the Los Angeles Times reported on Monday, had joined 14 other former players in the latest litigation involving the league over concussion-related issues.
“Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from the effects of head trauma,” Marino said in a statement. “In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL. I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff effective immediately. I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries. I also disclaim any references in the form complaint of current head injuries.”
It was a surprise when Marino filed suit because he said he’d had only two reported concussions over his 17-year career. Nonetheless, it was a big boost for the suit to have a player of Marino’s stature involved. Now, he’s left people wondering how this happened.
“It was never Marino’s intention to initiate litigation in this case, but to ensure that in the event he had adverse health consequences down the road, he would be covered with health benefits,” a source told Dave Hyde of the South Florida Sun Sentinel. “They are working to correct the error.”
I’m told Dan Marino did not expect ″backlash” he heard over suit. Questions abt timing post CBS, possibility of clouding future with Fins.— Armando Salguero (@ArmandoSalguero) June 3, 2014
Marino has said that he had two reported concussions over his 17-year career.