Luis Suarez’s legal team will appear before the Court of Arbitration for Sport on Friday in an attempt to reduce the four-month, nine-match ban handed down by FIFA after Suarez bit Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini during a World Cup match on June 24.
Suarez will be represented by lawyers from Uruguay’s football association instead of lawyers for Barcelona, the club team he joined last month after a transfer from Liverpool. According to the Guardian, they will argue that the ban should be limited to international soccer because it occurred at the World Cup. As it stands now, Suarez cannot participate in any soccer-related activities with Barcelona or the Uruguayan national team until Oct. 25.
The Guardian has more on Suarez’s appeal:
Suárez’s lawyer and adviser Alejandro Balbi, who is also a member of the Uruguay FA’s executive, admitted there was less chance of overturning the nine-match ban, but said there is scope for the four-month ban to be reduced on the grounds that it infringes the player’s “fundamental rights”.
Balbi told the Uruguayan newspaper El Observador: “It would be more logical to reduce the sanction by a few months than to reduce the ban concerning international games, because legally it’s easier to contend against the terms of the suspension that forbid him from training and from being at the club, because they violate fundamental rights.
“The other ban [the nine-match ban for Uruguay] is more a question of the level of the punishment.”
FIFA rejected Suarez’s appeal of the suspension in July but allowed him to appeal his case further before the Court of Arbitration for Sport, which is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland. CAS’s decision “is likely to be rendered some days after the conclusion of the hearing,” the court said on its Web site.
[Related: Suarez’s contract with Barcelona does not contain a “no-biting” clause.]