After Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier’s impromptu brawl, Joe Rogan says UFC fighters should have a no-contact order before fights


MGM Grand security try to to separate UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones and challenger Daniel Cormier after the two started fighting during a UFC press conference at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. (Steve Marcus/AP/The Las Vegas Sun)

Joe Rogan, the comedian turned  UFC’s leading commentator and all-around expert on mixed martial arts, is pretty angry at Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier, the two light heavyweight fighters who are set to meet at the main event of next month’s UFC 178 pay-per-view. The two hotheads got a little too close for comfort at the weigh-in last week and decided to have the fight then and there. Rogan does not approve.

“It was ridiculous,” Rogan said in his podcast [warning: language NSFW] last week (via Yahoo! Sports) after the incident. He continued:

“That’s a streetfight. That’s a world champion Mixed Martial Arts fighter and an Olympic Wrestler, and they’re street fighting. That’s bad for everybody. That’s bad for wrestling, that’s bad for MMA, that’s bad for sports.”

The reason Rogan said he thinks incidents such as the one that occurred between Jones and Cormier are so bad is because it confuses the public about what MMA fighting is.

“The difference between that kind of violence and the violence of a sport is that everyone is agreeing to this scenario,” Rogan said. “These guys were not professional.”

To keep things under control, Rogan suggests the UFC should adopt a “no contact policy” at weigh-ins. He said in his podcast:

“Unless they agree to hug or shake hands and hug, there should be a no contact policy. And anybody who clearly violates that no contact policy gets fined … Some guys can deal with it, the getting in the guy’s face. But when you have a situation like this, you’re going to have to have a no contact policy with those guys.”

There’s just one problem with Rogan’s argument… people became more interested in watching Jones and Cormier at UFC 178 after they got a small, unhinged taste of what could come. Yahoo! Sports writes, “The general pubic interest in the title fight escalated considerably following the incident.” The Washington Post’s own anecdotal evidence, judging solely on the performance of the original Early Lead article posted about the fight, tends to support that argument.

And, eventually, it seems, so does Rogan himself.

“Although Rogan came out strongly against the brawl, he did backtrack on that stance slightly,” FanSided.com writes. Rogan said on his podcast (via FanSided):

“Does it bum me out? No. No, it doesn’t make me upset. I’m not upset, I’m looking forward to watching this fight even more now.

I’m not gonna pretend that’s not fun. I’m not gonna pretend that didn’t make everyone way more excited for that fight, because it for [expletive] sure did.”

What’s your take?

[polldaddy poll=8240214]

Marissa Payne writes for The Early Lead, a fast-breaking sports blog, where she focuses on what she calls the “cultural anthropological” side of sports, aka “mostly the fun stuff.” She is also an avid WWE fan.

sports

early-lead

Success! Check your inbox for details. You might also like:

Please enter a valid email address

See all newsletters

Comments
Show Comments
Next Story
Marissa Payne · August 11, 2014

To keep reading, please enter your email address.

You’ll also receive from The Washington Post:
  • A free 6-week digital subscription
  • Our daily newsletter in your inbox

Please enter a valid email address

I have read and agree to the Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

Please indicate agreement.

Thank you.

Check your inbox. We’ve sent an email explaining how to set up an account and activate your free digital subscription.