Rafael Nadal won’t defend his title in the U.S. Open, announcing today that he has pulled out of the tournament because of a wrist injury.
Nadal made the announcement on Facebook:
I am very sorry to announce I won’t be able to play at this year’s US Open a tournament on which I’ve played 3 consecutive finals in my last participations. I am sure you understand that it is a very tough moment for me since it is a tournament I love and where I have great memories from fans, the night matches, so many things…
Not much more I can do right now, other than accept the situation and, as always in my case, work hard in order to be able to compete at the highest level once I am back.
Nadal, who has replaced atop the world rankings by Novak Djokovic, suffered the injury July 29 while he was practicing for the North American hard-court circuit. At the time, he said he had been told to wear a cast on the wrist for two-to-three weeks in order to be ready to return for the U.S. Open.
Nadal won his second U.S. Open last year, beating Novak Djokovic in the final. He won the French Open, his ninth, this spring, but he has played in only four matches since. The U.S. Open begins next week in New York.