Controversial Barcelona striker Luis Suarez promised never to bite an opponent again during his official presentation to fans. He said at a news conference (via ESPN) on Monday:
“I say to fans, don’t worry, because I won’t do that anymore. … I spoke to my psychologist, and he said I had to face it and say sorry. I did — now I would rather focus on the present, which is Barcelona.”
Do you believe him? Team President Josep Maria Baromeu does. Despite the Uruguayan star’s penchant for his opponents’ flesh (he’s bitten three different people — most recently Italys Giorgio Chiellini in the World Cup), Baromeu says there isn’t a “no biting clause” in Suarez’s contract with FC Barcelona. The clause could’ve potentially set up large monetary punishments for Suarez had he violated it.
Suarez debuted with the team on Monday night when he played the last few minutes of an international friendly against the Mexican club Leon. So far, so good: The star didn’t bite anybody. However, Suarez will be ineligible to participate this weekend’s La Liga competitive opener. Instead, the new No. 9 will have to wait to play until the end of October, when his four-month, FIFA-imposed suspension for biting Chiellini is over.
“I already know I have two months to train, to prepare and to be ready if the coach wants me to play in the game against Real Madrid,” Suarez said (via ESPN), referring to his possible competitive debut for Barcelona during the last weekend in October. “To share not just a front line, but a dressing room with players like Leo [Lionel Messi] and Ney [Neymar Jr.] makes you very happy. It makes you excited and motivated to play games with them.”