If you thought Sean Combs was headed for a lengthy prison term after his arrest last month for allegedly swinging a kettlebell at a UCLA football coach, you don’t know Diddy. On Thursday, a spokesman for the Los Angeles County district attorney’s office said that prosecutors have decided not to pursue felony charges related to the incident.
Combs could still face a misdemeanor charge, as the matter was referred to the Los Angeles city attorney. The music mogul and entrepreneur was said to have confronted strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi after the latter had chastised Combs’s son Justin, a reserve defensive back with the Bruins, while Diddy was attending a practice.
No one was injured in the altercation, but Combs was arrested on three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, one count of making terrorist threats and one count of battery. Following the June 22 arrest, a representative for Combs Enterprises issued this statement:
“The various accounts of the event and charges that are being reported are wholly inaccurate. What we can say now is that any actions taken by Mr. Combs were solely defensive in nature to protect himself and his son.”
On Thursday, Mark Geragos, an attorney for Combs, had this to say (via the Los Angeles Times): “We are thankful that the district attorney rejected felony charges in this matter. This case never should have been part of the criminal justice system to begin with.”