But on Friday, North Carolina announced that — in the process of responding to the violations — it had uncovered two new violations involving its women’s basketball and men’s soccer teams. The school said in a statement that it self-reported the violations to the NCAA on Aug. 10, and that this new information will delay its official response to the NCAA’s Notice of Allegations.
“I know today’s announcement will cause some to ask when all of this will end,” UNC Athletic Director Bubba Cunningham said in a statement. “I want to assure everyone that Carolina is doing all it can to bring these matters to closure as quickly as possible while also strictly adhering to the NCAA’s infractions process. While we need to address these new developments, we have already completed the majority of the work necessary to respond to the NCAA’s notice. We fully believe that we will be able to bring the investigation to a conclusion in spring 2016, as previously anticipated.”
The new women’s basketball violation involves “additional examples of possible instances of improper academic assistance provided to a few former women’s basketball players.” The school says it is related to the second of five violations outlined by the NCAA, which contends that Jan Boxill, the program’s former academic adviser, wrote papers for members of the Tar Heels women’s basketball team and, in one instance, turned in a player’s paper to a professor while also recommending what the grade of the paper should be.
The new men’s soccer violation involves “potential recruiting violations in the men’s soccer program that allegedly occurred over the past two years.” These violations are unrelated to anything in the NCAA’s report, but North Carolina said it was still required to report them.
The NCAA has accused North Carolina of exhibiting a lack of institutional control over its athletic department. Four of the five violations the school is accused of are Level 1 violations, considered the most serious under the NCAA’s violations structure.