Pro wrestlers get hurt a lot. But something looked different about the injuries sustained by WCW legend Sting during Sunday night’s WWE “Night of Champion” pay-per-view. While the 56-year-old went on with the show, eventually losing a title match to 29-year-old Seth Rollins, he hobbled and, at times, looked confused while executing routine moves.

But while reports circle the Internet that the injuries, which looked to affect his neck, back and possibly head, were serious enough to end the longtime pro’s career, the wrestler himself is “optimistic ” that he’ll make a full recovery.

“Sting is undergoing treatment for the injuries he sustained in last night’s match with Seth Rollins,” his manager Steve Martinez posted to Sting’s official Facebook page late Monday afternoon. “Doctors will continue to evaluate his condition, but he is a man of remarkable health and resiliency, especially at his age and with all he’s endured throughout his stellar career. Therefore, we are optimistic he will have a speedy recovery and return to full health soon.”

Neither Martinez nor WWE would elaborate on the exact injuries Sting suffered. Martinez did say, however, that “the greatest damage to his body took place before the match was over.”  

Judging from video of the match, it’s likely that Sting suffered injuries at least twice during the match. The first came when Rollins threw Sting through an announcers’ table and it appeared Sting hit his head on one of the hard plastic monitors on the landing.

Sting was slow to get up — as one would be after getting thrown through a table — and he grew increasingly sluggish after taking a hard bump off the turnbuckle, which is thought to be how he either aggravated or sustained additional injuries during the match.

Sting’s right leg appeared to give out and he lost his balance, causing the referee to temporarily halt the match while WWE’s ringside doctors attended to him in the corner. Eventually, Sting was able to finish, although his performance looked hindered. WWE doctors came back again to help him out of the ring after his defeat.

WWE did not return The Washington Post’s request to comment.