Spilchenko didn’t come up with the idea on his own, but didn’t at all eschew it after it was suggested by the reporter.
Spilchenko called it a “good idea” and said, “We’ll probably listen to your offer.”
As word of Spilchenko’s seemingly serious consideration of this idea got out, ridicule poured in, especially on the social media sharing Web site Reddit, where Spilchenko spurred comments such as, “Jim Crowyenko,” “What is this, the 1960s?” and “Perhaps UEFA could avoid racism by separating Kiev from European football.”
The events of last week have not gone unnoticed by European soccer’s governing body. On Thursday, UEFA opened disciplinary hearings into the matter after video of the attack, which can be seen in the above report, was passed on by the anti-discrimination network FARE to UEFA.
“This terrible incident reflects many of the continuing realities of football in central and eastern Europe,” Fare executive director Piara Powar told the Guardian. “A report has been made to UEFA, who have regulatory responsibility for the match, and we will be lobbying for the strongest sanctions.”
UEFA is expected to make its decision on Tuesday.
Kyiv Dynamo previously was found guilty of racism toward Everton players in March.