Security at NFL games will remain heightened for the second week since the Paris terrorist attacks on Nov. 13.
Teams were urging fans to arrive early and to limit what they were bringing into stadiums. Last week’s beefed-up security made for slight delays for fans entering the stadiums.
“Stadium security will remain at a heightened state of alert,” NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy told The Post in an email, “and we will continue our enhanced comprehensive security plans.”
In their first home game since the Paris terrorist attacks, the Atlanta Falcons were alerting fans to arrive 45 minutes earlier at the gates for the game against the Indianapolis Colts.
“In response to recent world events, the Georgia World Congress Center Authority is implementing enhanced security measures, including increased law enforcement, for our game on Sunday,” the Falcons said in a statement. “You may notice these changes as you arrive or depart from the game. The enhanced security measures are not the result of any targeted threats; rather, they are prudent measures under the circumstances and were made in coordination with NFL security recommendations. Your safety is extremely important to us, and we appreciate your understanding.”
Fans are urged to comply with rules put in place in 2013 about using see-through plastic bags of a designated size for anything they are bringing into the stadiums. “If it is essential to bring a bag, it must be in compliance with the clear bag policy which requires that it be made of clear plastic, vinyl or PVC and not exceed 12″ x 6″ x 12″. It is important that all fans comply with these requirements, and we appreciate their efforts to cooperate with these security measures,” the league said in a statement last week.
There were no specific threats against NFL games or the Falcons-Colts game, but the FBI investigated an ISIS threat against Philips Arena in Atlanta, the site of a WWE event Sunday. On Saturday, the FBI said in a statement that it was aware of the threat against the WWE, but FBI Special Agent in Charge J. Britt Johnson of the Atlanta office said the bureau did not have “specific or credible information of an attack.”
Paris’s Stade de France, site of a France-Germany soccer match, was one of the targets of the terrorist attacks nine days ago. One terrorist wearing an explosive vest reportedly tried to enter the stadium with a ticket, but was turned away and detonated the bomb outside the stadium.