“WWE’s talent wellness program does not apply to part-time performers such as Brock Lesnar,” a WWE spokesperson told Fox Sports on Tuesday.
The news didn’t come as much of a surprise to WWE fans, who have watched the company continue to promote Lesnar as if nothing happened. For instance, here’s an ad WWE tweeted out Monday.
Lesnar tested positive for clomiphene in two tests administered by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. The banned substance works as an anti-estrogen agent used to treat women’s fertility problems, but when taken by men, it can work very much like a steroid by boosting testosterone production.
While WWE plans to do nothing about Lesnar’s infractions, the UFC may be forced to, should Lesnar lose his appeal. Under the fight promotion’s new drug policy, implemented last year, first-time offenders incur an automatic two-year ban.
Lesnar, who announced his surprise appearance at UFC 200 around a month prior to the event, originally said his appearance was a one-night-only affair. After he handily beat opponent Mark Hunt, however, he was more coy about his future in the Octagon.
“Brock Lesnar’s gonna do what Brock Lesnar wants to do,” he said.
Apparently that might include banned substances.