2

Desktop notifications are on   | Turn off

Get breaking news alerts from The Washington Post

Turn on desktop notifications?

Yes Not now

It looks like you've previously blocked notifications. Please update your browser permissions to allow them.

The Washington Post

The move amounts to a 20 percent cut in pay for hundreds of thousands of defense workers over the next three months.

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said Thursday that he has told managers to freeze civilian hiring, cancel and delay some contracts, curtail training and some maintenance and prepare for unpaid furloughs because of uncertainty over the federal budget.

Civilian federal employment at the Defense Department would be cut along with the planned reductions in military personnel in coming years under a House-Senate agreement announced Tuesday evening.

Washington-area members of the House will ask their colleagues to reject a Senate plan that could result in about a 5 percent loss of Defense Department civilian positions, along with a similar cut in contractor jobs.

Most Read

politics

federal-eye

Success! Check your inbox for details.

See all newsletters