Update: 10:56: Rookie safety Jordan Bernstine has been told that he will be on the Redskins’ season-opening roster, according to a person familiar with the situation. Bernstine was a seventh-round draft pick out of Iowa.
Bernstine likely will be joined on the roster by veteran safeties Brandon Meriweather, Madieu Williams and Tanard Jackson. All were signed as free agents in the offseason.
It’s not clear how many safeties the Redskins will keep or what Bernstine making the team means for the roster chances of Reed Doughty and DeJon Gomes.
Doughty and Gomes started at safety in Wednesday night’s preseason finale.
Update 9:31 – Wide receiver Terrence Austin has been released by the Redskins, a person with knowledge of the situation confirmed. Austin was drafted in the seventh round of the 2010 draft out of UCLA. He spent the last two seasons with the Redskins and was competing with Anthony Armstrong, Brandon Banks, Aldrick Robinson and Dezmon Briscoe for one of the final two wide receiver spots.
Cornerback Brandyn Thompson, last year’s sixth-round pick out of Boise State said that the team has told him that he will be released. Thompson was competing with rookie Richard Crawford and veteran David Jones for one of the final cornerback spots.
“I got let go … Tough but [I] appreciate the opportunity. Will get better from it,” Thompson said in a text message to me this morning.
Update 9:25 – The Washington Redskins have informed backup outside linebacker Chris Wilson that he has made the team after his strong preseason. Meanwhile, the team will release fellow linebacker Bryan Kehl, according to a person with knowledge of the situation. The team also has released sixth-round pick Tom Compton, a tackle out of North Dakota.
It means that the Redskins’ backup linebackers will be Wilson, Rob Jackson, rookie Keenan Robinson and Lorenzo Alexander.
UPDATE 9 a.m. – Two more for the list: Defensive end Doug Worthington and offensive lineman Grant Garner, according to sources and various media reports. Worthington spent last season on Washington’s practice squad and is eligible to be re-signed to the practice squad this year, as well. Garner was an undrafted rookie, who also has practice squad eligibility.
UPDATE – 8:15 a.m.: The Redskins have also released backup offensive lineman Willie Smith, running back Tristan Davis and cornerback Travon Bellamy, bringing the total of known released players to five.
Original post: The Washington Redskins have released quarterback Jonathan Crompton for a second time this week as they whittle their roster down to the mandated 53-man limit by Friday’s 9 p.m. deadline.
The team on Thursday evening began making cuts, with backup center Erik Cook ranking among the first names of released players to leak out. The team is expected to finish informing the 22 players of their releases by some time Friday afternoon. An official release won’t come from the team until after the 9 p.m. deadline.
Crompton, who spent all of last season on Washington’s practice squad, was one of 15 players released Monday as the team cut the roster from 90 to 75. The following day, the Redskins released Chris Cooley, creating an opening, and Crompton was re-signed to give the team a second quarterback for Wednesday’s preseason finale since Robert Griffin III and Rex Grossman both were held out of that matchup.
Crompton completed one of two passes for nine yards. His other attempt was an interception. He also turned the ball over on a fumble.
The game marked Crompton’s first action since Week 4 of the 2011 preseason when as a member of the Tampa Bay Bucs, he completed 12 of 22 passes for 149 yards, a touchdown and an interception in a 29-24 loss to Washington. The Redskins signed Crompton to their practice squad the following week.
Crompton’s release doesn’t come as a surprise, but Friday is expected to feature the release of some recognizable names as the Redskins will have to weed out deep positions, notably receiver and linebacker.
Stay tuned . . .