(John McDonnell/The Washington Post)

Washington Redskins wide receiver Pierre Garcon described his ongoing foot injury as frustrating, and Coach Mike Shanahan called the inflamed capsule on the second toe of Garcon’s right foot “very much a mystery.” But Garcon is determined not to let himself get discouraged by the healing process. He also now understands that he can’t return to action until he is fully healed. Otherwise, he will subject himself to another setback.

“It does suck not being able to play, but you can’t sit around and mope about it. It will only bring you down,” said Garcon, who suffered the injury in Week 1, missed two games, played two games and then missed this past Sunday’s game after the injury continued to limit his speed and mobility.

“I need my toes to be 100 percent and run fast,” Garcon later said. “If it’s not 100 percent, I can’t really give it any power or force.”

Garcon – signed in the spring to a five-year, $42.5 million contract with $20.5 of it guaranteed – recorded four catches for 109 yards and an 88-yard touchdown in eight plays of action in the season opener. But since then, he has played just 88 of his team’s 387 snaps that have followed while recording only four more catches for 44 yards.

Garcon practiced fully on Wednesday and Thursday last week, but was unable to run on Friday. He tried warming up to play last Sunday’s game, but after seeing Garcon struggle to push off of the foot or run with any speed, Shanahan told him not to play.

“It was just every day pain. We don’t want it to continue to feel the pain, so we kind of shut it down,” Garcon said. “It wasn’t getting better, but it wasn’t hurting more. It was just pain I’ve been dealing with for a long time.”

Garcon watched Monday’s practice and doesn’t know how long he will be out, but didn’t sound hopeful about this Sunday’s game against the New York Giants.

Shanahan said that the Redskins would rather wait and let Garcon heal completely before permitting him to return to the field. But he didn’t know how long that would take, either.

“We’re going to hopefully give him a little time, get that thing healed,” Shanahan said. “How long it will take? I don’t know. One, two days? Two, three weeks? I don’t know. But he’s a tough guy. You watch him go through preseason, you watch him go through the OTA days, he’s a very physical player, and if he could go, he would go. But at the same time, I don’t want to set him back for the rest of the season. So I told him, ‘Hey, when you’re ready and you feel like you can go.’ We’ll help him as much as we can with treatment and those things, and get him ready to play.”