Pierre Garcon continues to rest his injured right foot. (John McDonnell/Washington Post)

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan said the status of injured wide receiver Pierre Garcon remains unchanged, and that the team will not know any more about Garcon’s health until Wednesday.

“He wasn’t good enough to play, so if you’re not good enough to play, that means there is a lot of pain in there,” Shanahan said when asked about Garcon, who on Sunday missed his fourth game of the season because of an inflamed capsule in the second toe on his right foot.

Garcon suffered the injury during the first game of the season, when he recorded four catches for 109 yards and an 88-yard touchdown in eight plays and then left. Garcon, signed in the spring a five-year, $42.5 million free agent contract, missed the next two games. At the time, Shanahan described Garcon’s injury as similar to turf toe, saying his return was a matter of pain tolerance.

 But Garcon suffered a setback and missed the Week 6 game against Minnesota. The following day, Shanahan said a more recent MRI conducted on the foot revealed the inflamed capsule.

USA Today reported Sunday that there was a tear in a tendon of the toe, but Shanahan denied that when asked about it Monday.

“No. It’s the same thing that it has been. No change,” Shanahan said.

 Garcon has received several shots to the area, but has yet to experience noticeable results.

The Redskins haven’t put a timetable on Garcon’s recovery, but people with knowledge of the situation have told The Post that they don’t expect the receiver back for at least four weeks.

Shanahan said the Redskins will continue to monitor Garcon’s health and hope that extended rest does the trick.

 “I won’t know anything until Wednesday, because we’re not pushing him right now,” Shanahan said. “He’s not running any routes, he’s not working out. He’s getting treatment. We’re hoping that staying off of it for a week, that it’s much improved. I can’t tell you anything for sure, though.”