DeAngelo Hall during the incident that led to his ejection (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)


Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall refused to comment on the $30,000 fine he received from the NFL for berating an official during his team’s Oct. 28 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

During Thursday morning’s open locker room media availability, Hall talked on his cell phone and walked past reporters on his way out, and didn’t return.

As he came off the field following Thursday’s practice, reporters approached Hall regarding the fine, and he said, “Back up off me, bro,” and didn’t break a stride.

Hall was ejected from the 27-12 loss to the Steelers at Heinz Field after he removed his helmet and cursed and gestured at head linesman Dana McKenzie following a late-game play.

Hall believed he should have drawn a penalty on receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who had tussled with the cornerback. Hall alleged in an interview with 106.7 the Fan that McKenzie “was equally at fault.”

As a result, the league took longer to hand down its ruling on the incident because it required a more in-depth incident.

“The NFL came in here and talked to a number of players and got their opinions of what happened out on the field,” Redskins Coach Mike Shanahan said. He later added, “[Hall] had a chance to talk to a number of people from the NFL. Merton Hanks, [the NFL’s assistant director of operations], was here. It’s always good when the NFL steps up and comes over here and gets a chance to hear a player’s side of the situation.”

Shanahan said that he wasn’t sure if McKenzie had received any punishment from the league. He did say, “There were differences of opinions of what occurred, by a number of players.”

The league officially announced Hall’s $30,000 fine in a written statement Thursday. According to the statement, Hall was fined “for flagrantly violating league rules prohibiting abusive conduct toward game officials.”

The league also warned Hall that future misconduct could result in a suspension.

Ray Anderson, the NFL’s executive vice president of football operations who assessed the fine, wrote in a letter to Hall, according to the league’s announcement: “Your abuses in the October 28 game were captured on tape and witnessed up-close and repeatedly on national television.  It was bad enough that you were vulgar with the officials, but it was particularly disturbing that after the first encounter with the officials, instead of separating, you repeatedly went back towards the officials to continue your tirade…You should clearly understand that any type of future abusive conduct toward game officials will result in escalated discipline, which may include suspension for conduct detrimental.”

Hall has three days to appeal the fine.

A person familiar with the case said Wednesday night that the league’s review of Hall’s allegation of misconduct by the official during the incident was ongoing.

Shanahan had previous reserved comment on Hall’s accidents other than to say that Hall had handled himself well until he removed his helmet.

On Thursday, Shanahan echoed those sentiments.

“Like I said, I thought D. Hall did everything you ask a guy to do. I thought a number of fines that could have been occurred from the receiver, but obviously, he was not penalized,” Shanahan said. “But when he did take his helmet off, that’s what he was fined for. You have to keep your poise in those situations, which is pretty tough to do, and that’s why he was fined. He hasn’t had a lot of situations like that. It’s one to learn from, and hopefully he’ll go on and won’t make any more of those mistakes.”


Hall gets $30,000 fine, no suspension for incident

D.C. Sports Bog: Hall’s meltdown, in images

Jason Reid: Hall showing no signs of being a leader