The re-signing of Hall — who, after being released in March to save $8 million, on Monday agreed to a one-year deal that is believed to be worth just more than $2 million — didn’t come as a surprise to Winfield and his camp. The person said that if anything, the move made Washington more attractive to Winfield, who is entering his 15th NFL season.
“At this point in his career, [Winfield] wants to win, and [Washington] has made moves to further solidify the roster, and re-signing Hall only helps. Their games complement each other,” the source said.
However, Washington had just more than $1 million in cap space before re-signing Hall, and once he officially signs, the Redskins could have to restructure contracts or release players to get below the cap, and to create enough spending money to sign April’s draft picks, and/or to add another player through free agency.
The Redskins’ message to Winfield’s representatives was that they had a plan for how to create enough room beneath the cap to sign the cornerback to a deal.
But two people familiar with the team’s deliberations believed it was unlikely that Washington would be able to pull that off because of the Redskins’ limitations.
It wasn’t clear what kind of an offer Washington had presented to Winfield, or how it compared to the one that he had received from the Minnesota Vikings, who released him last month to save money against the salary cap. A third team also is said to have interest in Winfield, but it wasn’t clear how seriously their pursuit was. CBS Sports last week mentioned the Denver Broncos as another potential suitor for the three-time Pro Bowl cornerback.
Winfield is out of the country, vacationing with his family, and is said to be weighing his offers. It’s expected that he will make a decision shortly after his return.
More from The Post on the Redskins:
D.C. Sports Bog: Jack Pardee and the Redskins
Opening Kick: What does Hall’s return mean for the secondary?