Here’s The Insider’s daily sampling of what folks outside The Post are writing about the team:
● Well, that didn’t take long. No sooner is Kyle Shanahan confirmed as the Browns offensive coordinator than the reports of Redskins QB Kirk Cousins to Cleveland begin to surface. Lindsey Foltin of Fox Sports Ohio cites some ESPN commentary in linking the Browns and Shanahan to the Washington backup.
Technically though, the speculation started earlier; Two days ago, the Akron Beacon-Journal linked the two, seven days ago a Yahoo contributor did it, and in December, DawgsByNature.com suggested it was a bad idea, and CSNWashington made it an open thread.
● ESPN’s John Keim highlights seven Redskins who could be cut to free up cap space for Washington. Keim gives the potential savings for each move, and let’s just say the list is heavy on linemen.
● At the D.C. Sports Bog, our Dan Steinberg pieced together John Schneider’s time with the Redskins, before he headed to the Packers and then the Seahawks, as GM, to build Super Bowl champions. Paul Woody of the Richmond Times-Dispatch wrote about Schneider and the Redskins in column form. An excerpt:
“When Schneider and Schottenheimer considered the 2002 season in Washington, they knew their most pressing need was a legitimate starting quarterback.
Jake Delhomme, the backup quarterback for New Orleans, was seen as a potential solution.
Instead, Spurrier brought in two of his former Florida quarterbacks, Shane Matthews and Danny Wuerffel. And the Redskins drafted Patrick Ramsey with the last pick in the first round of the 2002 draft.
Carolina signed Delhomme. He was 53-37 as a starter and led the Panthers to three playoff appearances and a Super Bowl berth.”
● Via CSN, Rotoworld’s Evan Silva ranked the Redskins’ roster 17th in the league, and went through the team’s needs. Here’s one of his insights:
“Shanahan and Gruden treat their No. 2 receivers similarly, utilizing rotations where blocking ability can be the greatest determinant of playing time. So Gruden won’t necessarily seek a big-time playmaker to pair with Pierre Garcon.”
● SB Nation’s Ryan Van Bibber put out a 1-32 power ranking that is not entirely serious, and the Redskins come in about as a low as a team coming off 3-13 should. Although they’re well behind the Eagles and Giants, the ranking with respect to the Cowboys should please you.
● The Big Lead published more than 1,000 texts allegedly exchanged between former Dolphins linemen Richie Incognito and Johnathan Martin, and they range from mundane to eye-opening. It might change the way you feel about what you’ve read to date.
● Just for fun, as pointed out already in the comments, designer John Raya reimagined NFL helmets with a Star Wars twist. The Redskins’ treatment will probably not be your favorite of the bunch.
Post Sports Live, What Redskins can learn from Seahawks:
Have a Redskins question? E-mail Mike Jones at email@example.com with the subject line “Mailbag question” for him to answer it in The Mailbag on Tuesdays.
Coverage from The Post:
Opening Kick: Which quarterbacks would you rather have than Griffin?