Here’s The Insider’s sampling of what folks outside The Post are writing about the team:
By Monday, the start of next week, we should start hearing about franchise tags. By next weekend, free agency news should start trickling out. Consequently, this isn’t only what our reporters are writing about (Today’s Orakpo update here, for instance), but what’s on the tips of everyone else’s tongues as well.
● On ESPN, John Keim writes that outside of Brian Orakpo, none of the Redskins’ other potential free agents are drawing much interest.
● Hogs Haven points out that Orakpo is the fifth-best free agent on the market, and takes a look at his placement relative to Cleveland Browns C Alex Mack.
● Both Keim and Hogs Haven link to Evan Silva of Rotoworld, whose free agent top 150 is worth a read.
● In addition to the draftnik tools we highlighted recently, ProFootballFocus has a fairly comprehensive free agency tracker, with lists sorted by position, teams, best available and more. (PFF took a stab at the Redskins’ team needs as well.)
● Rivers McCown of FootballOutsiders.com examines what the Redskins could do with all their available cap space, and that was written before the cap was estimated to be higher than expected at $133 million.
● CSN’s Tarik El-Bashir points out a few free-agent fits for the Redskins‘ special teams.
● Former agent Joel Corry’s look at franchise tag candidates from back in November still makes interesting reading. Plus, Fred Davis is prominently mentioned.
Have a Redskins question? E-mail Mike Jones at email@example.com with the subject line “Mailbag question” for him to answer it in The Mailbag on Tuesdays.
The next installment in Mark Bullock’s free agent big name/value/sleeper series on Thursday morning.
Coverage from The Post:
D.C. Sports Bog: Jack Evans says RFK site ideal for Redskins stadium | More Bog