RICHMOND — Starting free safety Ryan Clark left Tuesday’s practice early after tweaking his hamstring. Meanwhile, wide receiver Pierre Garcon was sidelined again after aggravating a hamstring pull suffered last week.
It wasn’t clear exactly when in the practice Clark suffered his injury, but he didn’t take part in any of the 11-on-11 action. Clark downplayed the injury and said that he wanted to make a speedy return, and play in Thursday’s preseason opener. But he admitted that the coaches and team’s trainers would likely see his situation differently, and may hold him out of action as a precaution.
Coach Jay Gruden said he didn’t yet know how serious Clark’s injury was.
Gruden said the team held Garcon out of Wednesday’s action as a precaution.
Garcon initially strained his hamstring on July 28. He returned to action three days later, but then tweaked the hamstring when he slipped while running a comeback route on Monday.
Garcon didn’t go into details when asked about the severity of his injury.
“It’s just football,” he said.
But he did say that he didn’t anticipate playing in the preseason opener at FedEx Field on Thursday.
Gruden said that Garcon was held out of action on Wednesday as a precautionary move.
Meanwhile, second-year safety Phillip Thomas took part in individual drills, but did not play in 11-on-11 or seven-on-seven drills because he too has been dealing with a mild hamstring strain.
Have a Redskins question? Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Mailbag question,” and it might be answered on Tuesday in The Mailbag.
The Redskins’ lone joint practice with the New England Patriots on Wednesday begins at 8:35 a.m. Here’s our camp guide.
Also from The Post:
Mailbag: On Patriots practice and Ryan Clark