Redskins tight end Derek Carrier is carted off following a first-half injury. (Kamil Krzaczynski/USA Today Sports)

CHICAGO — Sidelined the past game and a half because of an ankle injury, tight end Derek Carrier’s return proved short-lived as he left the first quarter of Sunday’s win over Chicago with a right knee injury, and didn’t return.

Carrier will have an MRI exam on the knee on Monday so the team can learn the full extent of the damage, coach Jay Gruden said.

Carrier injured himself with 2 minutes 37 seconds left in the first quarter, on the first play of Washington’s second possession. Kirk Cousins’s throw was slightly behind Carrier, but the tight end twisted to make the catch for a gain of seven yards.

However, linebacker Shea McClellin tackled Carrier low almost immediately. Carrier had to be helped off the field and shortly after was ruled out for the remainder of the game.

Carrier’s injury left Washington with only one healthy tight end, Jordan Reed, in uniform. The team’s other tight end, Je’Ron Hamm, was a healthy scratch for Sunday’s game.

Without Carrier, Washington used backup tackles Tom Compton and Ty Nsekhe as blocking tight ends.

Otherwise, the Redskins appear to have escaped from the game without serious injury.

Wide receiver DeSean Jackson banged one of his knees during a diving catch along the sideline in the second half. The injury appeared to hamper him as he came in and out of the game the rest of the way.

Right tackle Morgan Moses was checked for a concussion at halftime, but was cleared to return to the game shortly after.

More from The Post:

Redskins get road-win monkey off their backs in 24-21 in over Bears

Savvy late plays by Will Compton and Matt Jones help Redskins survive

Gruden postgame: ‘We did something different. We made some plays’

Bog: The best and worst moments from the win | Box score | Photos

More NFL: Redskins | Around the league | Bog on Redskins | Fantasy

Follow: @MikeJonesWaPo | @lizclarketweet | @MasterTes | @Insider