Linebacker Will Compton led the Washington Redskins in performance-based pay distribution for the 2016 season, according to a report released Tuesday by the NFL Management Council. Compton received $251,511.61 for his production last season, one of 15 players to receive more than $100,000 from the club pool.
Every NFL team received $3.995 million to compensate players for outperforming their salaries in 2016. The program rewards players with low salaries who received considerable playing time in a given season.
Compton, who received $600,000 last season, began the season as a starter and defensive captain. He started in 15 games, receiving 85.25 percent of the defensive snaps and 21.85 percent on special teams. Compton, 27, is a restricted free agent this offseason and received the low-round tender, meaning the Redskins have the right of first refusal if Compton accepts an offer sheet with another team. The Redskins will not receive a compensation pick if they don’t sign Compton, however.
Wide receiver Jamison Crowder, a fourth-round pick in 2015, received the second-biggest payoff from Washington’s pool, $191,529.84. With a base salary of $525,000 in 2016, Crowder played in 73.49 percent of the offensive snaps and 14.86 on special teams.
Right tackle Morgan Moses, a third-round pick in 2014 entering the final year of his rookie contract, was third with $187, 971.35. Moses had a base salary of $680,000 in 2016 and finished third in offensive snaps (95.94 percent), behind quarterback Kirk Cousins (100 percent) and right guard Brandon Scherff (98.58 percent). Moses also played in 12.84 percent of the special teams snaps.
Here are the top 20 Redskins in performance-based pay distribution. (For the curious: Defensive end Kendall Reyes received the least with $2,562.46.):
- LB Will Compton – $251,511.61
- WR Jamison Crowder – $191,529.84
- RT Morgan Moses – $187,971.35
- SS Duke Ihenacho – $176, 848.47
- CB Bashaud Breeland – $176,681.04
- C/G Spencer Long – $172,796.53
- DE Ziggy Hood – $163,633.12
- SS Donte Whitner – $141,655.63
- CB Kendall Fuller – $133,822.72
- CB Quinton Dunbar – $127,817.14
- RB Rob Kelley – $127,134.03
- RB Chris Thompson – $126,582.55
- OT Ty Nsekhe – $124,481.88
- ILB Martrell Spaight – $105,903.10
- FS Will Blackmon – $100,493.15
- WR Ryan Grant – $99,535.94
- OLB Trent Murphy – $99,527.78
- OLB Preston Smith – $95,527.78
- DT Cullen Jenkins – $92,223.71
- FS Deshazor Everett – $89,472.00