Special government shutdown deals
This list has been updated. Because some deals are while supplies last, you might want to call ahead.
Some of them are applicable to everyone, and others are only for those who can present a government ID. Either way, these specials are your ticket to cheap drinks and happy hour bites, and a fun way for you and your coworkers to bide your time. Shutdown drinks and happy hour specials are here, and food deals are below.
• Federal or District government workers with a sweet tooth can get a free doughnut with any doughnut or chicken purchase at Astro Doughnuts and Fried Chicken, if they show their employee ID.
• All Taylor Gourmet locations are giving furloughed workers "a 10 percent discount, career counseling & a cookie" with the purchase of any hoagie or salad.
• Ovvio Osteria will give you a free bruschetta appetizer with their already-bargain lunch deal, which gets you two menu items for $12. You have to present a government ID.
• At Osteria Marzano in Alexandria, government workers with ID get 50% off select pizzas during happy hour (4-7 p.m. Monday-Friday), as well as $3 draft beers and $4 house liquors.
• The Original Pancake House (Bethesda, Rockville and Falls Church locations) will give government workers with ID a 15 percent discount.
• On U Street, Menchie's Frozen Yogurt will offer government workers or contractors with ID 20 percent off any size frozen yogurt, with as many toppings as they want.
• Posto gets cheeky with a special shutdown menu offering: "B-S Ravioli," or butternut squash ravioli, for $10. They're also offering $5 glasses of wine. Both of these deals are available to all patrons seated in the bar area.
• The Daily Dish in Silver Spring is offering a free cup of coffee to all government workers with ID, no purchase required. "Members of congress pay double," says the cafe.
• Vinoteca is extending happy hour drink and small-plate specials to 9 p.m. for anyone with a government ID.
• Get a free pulled pork sandwich at Pork Barrel BBQ in Del Ray with your government ID. Workers are able to get one free sandwich every day of the shutdown (with the exception of members of Congress, the restaurant says).
• At three Jose Andres restaurants -- Jaleo (the DC, Maryland and Virginia locations), Oyamel and Zaytinya -- chef Jose Andres will be offering government workers with ID a free sandwich from 3-5 p.m. every day until the end of the shutdown. He's going to become a U.S. citizen soon -- read about it in the Reliable Source.
• Get a free creamy potato, crispy bacon and chive soup with any purchase while supplies last at 8407 Kitchen Bar. The offer is valid at the bar for those with a government or military ID.
• In Adams Morgan, Madam's Organ will be offering half-price food from 5-8 p.m. for anyone with a government ID. And they'll buy you your first beer, too.
• Circle Bistro is giving government employees with ID 10 percent off of their check.
• Thaaja joins the contingent of restaurants making members of Congress pay double, but for furloughed government workers with ID, it's 50 percent off of meals from 12-2 p.m. and 5-7 p.m., and $2 beers all day.
• The Coupe has a number of 50-cent offerings for everyone during the shutdown, from 2-8 p.m.: Sriracha-glazed chicken wings, deviled eggs with gravlax, chives, and creme fraiche, stuffed medjool dates with spiced Marcona almond, roasted corn hush puppies, and Camembert cheese, wrapped in Surryano ham. No ID required. You can also get $3 Natty Boh’; $4 rum punch and $5 house white and house red wine.
• Asia Nine is offering all government workers a 10 percent discount on their check for the duration of the shutdown.
• Ruffino's Spaghetti House will give government employees 20 percent off of their bill, excluding alcohol.
• Mad Fox Brewing Co. will offer 20 percent off all pizzas to federal government and contract employees throughout the shutdown. Be sure to show them your ID before you order.
• All Boston Market locations countrywide will be offering government workers and military personnel a buy-one, get-one-free deal: With the purchase of any family meal, they'll get one roast chicken for free. Government employees can also ask for a coupon to be redeemed at a later date. This offer is valid Oct. 6-13.
• Whole Foods locations in D.C., Maryland and Virginia will be hosting a free spaghetti dinner on Sunday, Oct., 6, from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. for everyone, furloughed or now.
(Hear of any other deals on food and drinks? let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Frugal and delicious
• Furloughed workers can still be fancy -- and they don't even have to feel guilty about it. Here's a list of D.C.'s best restaurants that offer multi-course lunch deals, some for as little as $15.
• Been there, done that? Here are a few brand-new restaurants that are easy on the wallet. The British-themed Duke's Grocery has monster-sized sandwiches -- the Brick Lane Salt Beef can easily feed two. G Sandwich also offers some of the heartiest fare you'll find between two slices. Bar Charley's bar snacks start at $5, and classic cocktails are as cheap as $8. D.C.'s first Smashburger will help you satisfy your fast food craving. You can get a margarita and two tacos during happy hour for $10 at the new El Centro Georgetown.