Bethesda is getting a new bar: Markham's Bar and Grill opened today in the former Majestic space at 7141 Wisconsin Ave. Here's what to expect from the casual neighborhood hangout:
1. A Hot Shoppes hat-tip: The Markham's menu will honor the signature menu item from the beloved Hot Shoppes, according to the Robert Dyer @ Bethesda Row blog. "The Mo" is a burger with a triple-decker bun, two burgers, shredded lettuce, dill pickle slices and "Mo Sauce." Hot Shoppes will be returning to D.C. in the new Mariott Marquis.
2. A Majestic favorite: The bacon-duck burger served originally served at Majestic -- previously featured on this blog as a Thing You Should Try -- will remain on the menu.
3. A food truck following: Owner Steve Markham is also behind the One3Five food truck in Bethesda, and he'll be serving up many of the items from his truck's menu in the new space -- like the banh mi and "turkeylicious," a turkey-cucumber-avocado-cranberry 'wich. He'll be joined in the kitchen by Billy Colliton, a former executive chef at the Arts Club of Washington.
4. An international flavor: You'll find Asian oysters with wasabi powder, "Southern Comfort" corn-and-cheddar biscuits, "Brazilian Bites" marinated beef and potatoes and Pakistani tacos, with chicken and curry. And those are just the appetizers.
5. A nice touch: According to menu photos Dyer posted on his blog, all sandwiches are served with a side dish (fries, veggies or salad), pickles and the final touch: a deviled egg.
Markham's will be open from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. on weekdays and until 2 a.m. on weekends.